Flying/boating with Meniere's Disease
Hi everyone!

I won a trip to Hawaii with my family! We are going next month and although excited, I'm scared to death I will not be able to function with my Meniere's Disease.

I've done okay the past year - between allergy shots, .25mg of Xanax a day and Steriods if the dizzies get too bad. I started with symptoms in early 2009, finally diagnosed at the end of 2010.

My concern is not only the flight (I haven't flown since 2008), but also this trip includes "excursions" - including a 4 hour catamaran/snorkeling adventure. I haven't been on a boat since I was a teen (I'm 48!), but with MD, I feel like I'm on a boat every night when I lay down to sleep.

My doc is giving me the allergy shot 3 days before I leave on the plane and wants me to take Claritin and Valium (I tried Valium during a road trip and felt horrible on it -I wasn't driving, I was riding). I also ordered the Ear Plane, ear plugs to use.

Any advice as to flying/boating and generally feeling okay during a trip like this?

It really is a trip of a lifetime. I'm just worried I won't be able to walk either while on the trip or it will set me back 20 paces from where I am now in managing my symptoms.

Thanks everyone!
Posted on 04/24/12, 04:58 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Meniere's Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 04/24/12  6:49pm
" I WOULD ASK FOR MORE XANX FOR THE TRIP IT HELPS ME ALOT I TAKE .05 AND IT TAKES THE DIZZIES AWAY AND TAKE ONE BEFORE THE FLIGHT AND ON THE BOAT AND IF YOU FEEL ANY THING STRANGE HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME. HUGS SQUARLEY "
Reply #2 - 04/25/12  12:26pm
" I also am traveling by plaine next month, everything that i have read sates flying with MD should not be an issue. I hope that the facts are right! "
Reply #3 - 04/26/12  4:24pm
" I would have get that ticket to someone else. Oh I couldn't fly/boat. But I dowish u luck tho! "
Reply #4 - 04/27/12  6:12am
" Hi,
I flew 2 weeks ago a 4 hour flight return. Took Otravin nasal spray half hour before take off and landing. Had no problems.
I have been vertigo free 2 mths since starring new eating plan low carb higher protein. Think cutting out the bread and its salt has really helped a lot.
Going to LA in July have ordered low salt meals on flight.
Those are my hints. Good luck! "
Reply #5 - 05/03/12  10:39pm
" I haven't had any trouble on planes, thank goodness. I haven't tried boating since my diagnosis, not sure if looking at those moving waves would sit well with me. But the flight was no problem, and it was even a little bumpy. "
Reply #6 - 08/11/12  10:58pm
" I've flown several times since being diagnosed. No problems directly associated with the flight. Had MD symptoms once at my destination which I blame on my free-for-all-food-fest aka "salt overdose". Haven't tried the boat ride yet.....will admit that scares me a bit. "
Reply #7 - 08/12/12  2:53pm
" Ativan works well for me if I am afraid an attack is coming on. "
Reply #8 - 08/13/12  9:01am
" Flying should not be an issue, I was dreading that myself. (We took a family trip the beginning of June) I felt fine even when the plane ride to Florida had major turbulance. In fact the plane ride made me feel better! I was thinking because of the pressurized cabin?

I did pass on a boat trip, I get sea sick on a good day, LOL. "
Reply #9 - 08/13/12  1:10pm
" last year i did fly to Dominican Republic and we did snorkeling trip too. I was fine for both and actually the whole vacation i felt really good. My Doctor explained me later that it was because I had no stress there and all the food was more natural that the one we get in the States. Enjoy your time. "