Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Difference between AMD and DME?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out if Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) falls under the Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) "umbrella"?

And also, know that there are 2 types of AMD, Wet AMD and dry AMD. Can a person who has AMD fall into both Wet AMD and Dry AMD categories? or are these all different things altogether?

I've tried searching for this informaiton online, but all I get is very thorough and detailed descriptions of each, both nothing linking them, as far as their similarities go.

It seems to be something that only an expert would know so that's why i'm asking it here.

Does anyone have any familiarity with these conditions to the extent that you would be able to tell me if DME is a type of AMD, or are they two separate things?

Thanks in advance for letting me know!
Posted on 02/15/12, 06:35 pm
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Macular Degeneration. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/16/12  1:21pm
" http://www.mdd1.com/macularedema.htm contains information about DME. They both lead to disturbance of the macula, which results in vision distortion. The bottom line is that they both lead to some degree of blindness. There are many many diseases of the eye. It is prevalent throughout society. But at this point, there is not much medically that can be done. It is perplexing and frustrating. But there are those here who will share degrees of useful information.
Is this something that you have? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/16/12  2:18pm
" Thank you for the information. I will check it out right away. No I do not have these conditions but I was interested in learning more about them. Thanks once again! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web