Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Throat muscles feel torn - unilateral
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I now have this new thing where sometimes, for no reason I can figure, the muscles on the right side of my throat feel like they are pulled-- or cramping, or something, hard to describe. I can swallow, but it's like that feeling when you are totally winded and your throat is raw and burning? Only just on one side. Or, imagine kind of a charlie horse feeling, with stretched or torn ligaments on one side.

Went to the ER once for this, had D-dimer, full blood panel, chest xray, everything was normal.

Anyone had anything like this? Or have any ideas? NSAIDs seem to help, as do painkillers, but it's a new symptom I don't like. And I got root canal tomorrow, honestly, I don't need this shit at the moment.
Posted on 02/11/11, 04:38 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for MCTD. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/11/11  8:56am
" mouth and throat. am trying out product called nilstat as we speak/write.

my pearly whites have degraded, well receding gums the past couple of years. will not get any root canal just get the taken out one at a time 'til a dozen or so left, then happy thailand holiday for some great dentures. that's the plan. maybe you could do Cuba.

i also have tightening aand thinning of skin around mouth and as such, dental work would be doubly painful. good luck Cat. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/11/11  9:28am
" I have had the same throat issue, it comes and goes. It feels like a sore throat but only on one side. It has been happening on and off for the last year or so. Just one more weirdness to add to the list.

Good luck with the root canal.

Hugs
Beth "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/11/11  10:28am
" Could it be reflux an the side you usually sleep on? or thrush?
We all have such wierd symptoms. Chest popping and now this?
Mary Ann "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/12/11  12:58am
" Thanks, guys, but I don't think it's anything you have described... let me know if you have any other ideas. I really appreciate your thoughts, and it's so good to hear from ya.

It's more muscular, almost like a cramping pain, starts inside and somewhere behind my right ear and can radiate all the way to my right shoulder blade.

Will see the doctor this week about some other crazy crap (lump on my finger) and see if I can get her to figure this out. Dentist was too freaked out by my symptoms to do the root canal, we did some other way expensive work that he claimed would last 30 years, even at the rate my gums are receding, Oz, though I take your point and am thinking about going the same route! Fortunately, I do not have the skin issues. If it's just inflammatory, I'll see if I can work with it.

I am totally tweaked by this right now, and completely focused on just getting my work done, hunting for paying jobs, and not giving up on skiing a few days this season. If it's not going to work, I'm going to accept it with grace, and just unload a few clips at the target range in rage and frustration and move on. I can't see skiing with my throat quite this screwed up... I'm 80% of where I need to be, and this is very frustrating. Irritating to be back to needing one doctor's appointment a month (plus one or two shrink appointments a month, which is kind of mandatory in the profession I'm in.) A lot of money, a lot of time on health care.

Stay cool, Catalyzt. Breathe. Don't freak. Set a good example for the new board members...

--Cat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/04/11  3:37am
" Thanks for your reply-- odd coincidence.... I am still having follow-up done from that ER visit in January! And you raise an interesting point: YES, my glands were swollen at that time. Thyroid was normal, that is always a good test to run for throat stuff.

Now, we're looking at cardiac issues (will post about these on a separate thread, incredibly annoying.)

Anyway, I always appreciate it when someone sheds new light on an old problem that we're still running down. Final dx was just kind of idiopathic swelling related to MCTD.

Another not-so-good thing-- problems with swallowing. Hope you're not dealing with that, though it's manageable so far.

Best,

--Cat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/04/11  9:51am
" Every once in a while I get something like this. My throat kinda on the side will be really tight feeling and when I put my hand on it I will have at least one swollen lymph node. It's like I pulled a muscle in my neck but not really bad, just a little bit. It usually goes away pretty quickly. I always thought that maybe it was the lymph nodes that are swollen pressing on something or a muscle spasm in my neck, but I really don't know what it is. But, it doesn't hurt on the inside, just the outside, but I do get a sore throat often. I never really thought of the sore throat as being connected to this, but maybe it is. Another weird thing to add to the list.
-Kate "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/07/11  10:59pm
" Weird , YES ,Hurts ,YES , swollen,Yes !
I have not had this in a while but did off and on about a year and a half ago going back 10 years.the almond shape nodes on the sides of my neck would swell and just stay that way,it would burn as if I was getting a cold or something.Dry irritable and painful.I started going to an ENT over a year period he gave me stroid shots and the nodes went down and never again have they become swollen.. Weird ...

About 4 years ago when alot of new symptoms started I would get that burning tightness in and behind and down into the shoulder like your describing.I then starting having trouble swollowing,I couldnt get any kind of meat down my throat.It sometimes lasted days and would go away.

It would come and go and this went on for a few years,but like I said I 've not had this for over a year or so ,maybe just maybe it wont come back , as we all know none of this is any fun /: "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web