Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lympedema and weight gain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does lympedema affect the overall body weight apart from the affected areas? I eat healthly although i do not real do exercises. I do go for a walk.

I have cut on sugars, Fizzy drinks, sweets etc. I hardly it sugary food.I eat plenty of fruits and drink lots of water. My meal does not real include alot of fatty food at all. I have been doing this for a while now, but i seem to be gained weight than loosing. Now i am worried, has lympedema has to do with it.

Anyone? Thank you
Posted on 01/21/09, 05:32 am
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lymphedema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/22/09  5:26pm
" Yes, lymphedema adds to body weight. I would estimate that I carry an additional 30-40 lb. of weight with my lymphedema. Trish "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/12/11  10:29pm
" I have always had weight issues, but its been the last few years the lymphedema set it, my highest known weight was 550 but may have been more, i recently lost 31 pounds but regained 10, i am losing some again, changed my foods and recently got the lymphedema pump. I have no clue what my swelling weight is but i am very large, i have tumor like masses on my legs, hips and behind, with the extra skin i assume i have about 80 to 100 extra pounds that is not fat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/04/11  11:49pm
" Yes, I believe have lymphedema does affect your whole body weight. I have been placed on a low fat, low salt, NHFCS diet. it seems to have helped some. nanaj "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/08/11  2:33am
" That was my question too....i've changed my diet, i walk little over a mile at least 4xs a week, don't eat after 7pm and in less than 2wks went up 8lbs. I cried. My quesiton to my lymphodema therapist was how much weight does the fluid add to the scale. She couldn't tell me specifally but it's just my weight itself going up.I've actually gone down 2 pant sizes so i'm just gonna focus on inches. But if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the swelling in the upper abdomen that would be great. Seems to be one of the 3 obvious areas when measured that i'm pocketing the fluid. No matter how much exercise i'm doing it's not decreasing and it's discouraging me. Also makes my breathing more shallow. She says i breathe in good but struggle breathing out but i can feel the pressure if tht makes sense. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/17/11  4:28pm
" Well that explains why I am struggling with weight loss to. I am on fluid pills and if I am taking them daily then I am down 8lbs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/01/12  11:18am
" For all of you please stay strong and dont give up. I have primary lymphedema in both of my legs, I have had it since I was 16. I am going to be 29 in October. In 2009 I weighed 210 lbs and couldnt stand myself anymore. I changed my diet, switched my fluid intake, and started to do as much exercise/moving as possible with my legs being so big. Currently I weigh 131lbs and Im still going. DONT give up. If you need to ask me anything. Feel free to write me. I am always available. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/07/12  10:47am
" good news for everyone who has lymphedema of the lower extremety.
beeing myself sufering from lymphedema for over 18 years, I am 34 now.last year after having a baby , my lymphedema got worse, my doctor told me to wear compression stockings and live with it.
but I couldn`t accept it. so I looked for alternatives on the internet, and I found a bristle brush for dry skin brushing, and I said to myself, that this is my last chance, or my lymphedema gets better or i really have to live with it. I started it in september 2011, and till now I do it everyday for 30 minutes before my shower, after a month of doing it averyday, I got sick, the toxins started to get elliminated from my body, my lymphedema decreased in volume, I was very happy with the results, and it`s been 8 months that i`m doing it every day, I feel great, but it`s been a month that I decided to cut dairy products, meat, chicken, eggs, white flour, white sugar, and guess what, my lymphedema is getting better every day, I am thrilled. so guys watch out what you put in your mouth, and do dry skin brushing before your shower and do not take hot showers. If you need more information ,I will tell you more about my experience, it takes time, you have to be patient, but it`s worth it. good luck. and I lost 16 pounds in 8 months. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/07/12  4:12pm
" You are ladies are so wonderful! You give me hope that I can still do better. I have lymphedema in both legs, left is worse.
I started out at 236lbs. With fluid pills and compression stockings and swimming 2-3 days a week, I have managed to lose 46lbs. But I have 65 to go.
I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks and I am starting to get upset. My legs are starting to get stronger with swimming, which feels good. But maybe really watching what I eat will have to be next and that brush.

I don't have dairy or wheat (90% of the time lol allergic) But I need to watch everything else.
My oldest daughter is getting married in June, I really would like to be down another 20lbs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/07/12  4:29pm
" good news for everyone who has lymphedema of the lower extremety.
beeing myself sufering from lymphedema for over 18 years, I am 34 now.last year after having a baby , my lymphedema got worse, my doctor told me to wear compression stockings and live with it.
but I couldn`t accept it. so I looked for alternatives on the internet, and I found a bristle brush for dry skin brushing, and I said to myself, that this is my last chance, or my lymphedema gets better or i really have to live with it. I started it in september 2011, and till now I do it everyday for 30 minutes before my shower, after a month of doing it averyday, I got sick, the toxins started to get elliminated from my body, my lymphedema decreased in volume, I was very happy with the results, and it`s been 8 months that i`m doing it every day, I feel great, but it`s been a month that I decided to cut dairy products, meat, chicken, eggs, white flour, white sugar, and guess what, my lymphedema is getting better every day, I am thrilled. so guys watch out what you put in your mouth, and do dry skin brushing before your shower and do not take hot showers. If you need more information ,I will tell you more about my experience, it takes time, you have to be patient, but it`s worth it. good luck. and I lost 16 pounds in 8 months.
by the way, I was trying to loose weight before I strated dry brushing, but it`s impossible probably my body needed an outside force to help remove the toxins and the extra weight, but after doing dry skin brushing the weight just goes off, TRUST me. and good luck.

Report Abuse

Add Your Reply
. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/07/12  9:54pm
" Where do I find one of those brushes? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web