Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Does the arthritis go away?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi, I'm new but searched many pages back to look for an an answer to this question. I had the impression that many here are only incompletely treated for Lyme so that recurrence of arthritis symptoms can be explained by incompletely treated disease.

I think I have been completely treated - three types of antibiotics layered on over 9 months and the Igenex test are now negative. I will be retested in three months.

During treatment my arthritis became worse - just like the herxheimer effect discussed here.

Now however, even though I feel much better, I have one hip that is so sensitive to any activity that if I do anything much during the day by evening I can be almost crippled with pain in that joint. It clears up after a nights rest.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Will the joint inflammation (assuming that is what it is) resolve with time if I stay Lyme-free?

The doctor suggested Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM and I have started that. If it helps will it be a lifetime thing?

Thanks,
Posted on 09/28/08, 01:18 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lyme Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/29/08  3:29pm
" I recommend a joint supplement, preferably one with HA (hyaluric ((spelling)) acid) as well as glucomsamine and chondroitin. Not to make light of it, but I noticed a huge difference in one of my old, arthritis ridden horses within a week of adding HA to his supplements.

As for will it ever go away, there are 2 schools of thought. The first is, yes, if the inflammation is caused by Lyme, it should resolve itself. The second, and the one I belong to, is that the damage is done and cannot be undone, just alleviated. I notice that throughout my ups and downs, the one constant is joint pain. I think if it has been around long enough, the damage becomes permanent; the lucky ones treated early might have complete resolution of arthritis. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/01/08  5:40am
" I discovered I have arthritis in my left leg while going thru lyme treatment. My doctor recommended exercise at the gym. I found after about a month of exercie the pain went away. The doctor said I would have to do this for the rest of my life to prevent it from getting worse or coming back. I have been pain free for about 8 months now. Reently I had events that kept me out of the gym for a month and I started to feel the pain in my leg again. Guess what? The doctor was right so I am back at the gym and the pain is almost gone again. I would suggest talking to your doctor about what type of exercise may help relieve your pain. It worked for me and hopefully can work for you. Take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/02/08  2:38pm
" Thanks, guys. I will look up the HA and ask about and experiment with exercise. Take care, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/11/08  12:27pm
" Here is an update:
I went to an Orthopedic surgeon for his examination and opinion. He says it is arthritis alright - no surprise. He prescribed Mobic and said I'd be a candidate for hipreplacement whenever I was ready - which I guess is whenever my life is intolerable which it almost is right now. So, I, due to go back in three weeks to see how the Mobic is working out - Celebrex is next on his list. Meanwhile I have been researching hip replacement and hip resurfacing and am not anxious to do either one.

I was encouraged to see one web site supported by a hip implant manufacturer which actually supported the idea that Glucosamine Chondroitin supplements can possibly re-grow cartilage. So I also have been looking around for information about Hyaluronic Acid. It sounds very promising. So I have ordered some today and will add it in after it arrives and after any improvement provided by Mobic has stabilized. Unless I can get improvement first, it won't be possible to try to add exercise.

Here is an informative HA website:
http://hyalogic.com/

And here is the supplement I settled on to try:
http://www.permahealth.com/hylajoin... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/11/08  1:50pm
" Fingers crossed (in a sore, arthritic fashion) that you have found the answer! i agree, hip replacement doesn't sound like fun at all. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web