Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Babesia symptoms...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was treated for Babesia seven years ago and all the sweats went away, but lately, I've been getting sweats more and more often. I have a few questions...

1. Doesn't Babesia sweats mostly just happen at night or do they happen anytime?

2. Does it always have a fever associated with sweats?

3. Can sweating be part of lyme at all?

4. How accurate are the Babesia tests?

Thanks,
Rob
Posted on 02/04/08, 09:47 pm
6 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Lyme Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/05/08  10:34pm
" Hi Rob, welcome!

Are you currently being treated for tick-borne illnesses? Do you have Lyme?

Besides Babesiosis, have you been tested for the other co-infecitons Bartonella, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE) and Mycoplasma?

When you were treated for Babesiosis previously, do you know how long you were treated?

Babesiosis is a malaria-like protozoa illness that invades, infects, and kills the red blood cells. Symptoms include fatigue, night sweats, chills, fever, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, headache, dark urine, muscle pain, joint pain, nausea, and jaundice. Treatment is an anti-malarial combined with an antibiotic--often Mepron with Zithromax (or Biaxin or Ketek).

Night sweats are common with Babesiosis, but sweats can be present at other times also. I had a severe case and had sweating more than just at night. I do not think that everyone gets a fever with Babesiosis, but some people do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/24/08  11:20am
" We had a male patient who tested negative on the Igenix Babesia FISH PCR test about a month before he tested positive, on the same test, after taking colostrum, Enzymatic Therapy Cell Forte and cholestyramine.

His Natural Killer Cell level was 86, before Cell Forte and increased to 135, in about a month.

Labcorp testing drawn 6/25/08, revealed elevated MMP9 , 1128 ng/ml (less than 300 is desirable); Creatine Kinase, total 247(24-204) U/L; HSV I IgG 1.2(positive>1.0); Serum Immunoglobin M 17(40-230)mg/dl (Hypogammaglobulinemia occurred in approximately 0.5 % of over 13,000 patients, in a published study) ; EBV Early Antigen, Ig G, 106 AU/ml(100-120 equivocal); EBV Early VCA, IgG 1,427 AU/ml (positive > 120); EBV nuclear antigen 1,173 AU/ml (positive >120);

He experienced decreased chills and decreased shortness of breath initially, on the anti Babesia regimen. As doseage increased, he experienced increased pain, especially on the plantar surface of his feet, with swelling in feet and fingers and increased memory problems. His blood pressure also increased, with a momentary spike of diastolic pressure over 130. After Artemisinin and Mepron were discontinued and cholestyramine resumed, swelling and joint pain decreased slightly first day after cholestyramine was resumed and wrist, knee, and ankle pain and swelling decreased considerably second day, with the worst remaining pain in his toes. Rt ankle and foot remain painful, on 3rd day of cholestyramine,but patient reports joint pain is decreased to 2/10 (WAS 6/10, PRIOR TO BEGINNING TREATMENT, 3 TO 4 MONTHS EARLIER) He reports swelling is almost gone and he can wear his wedding band again. He also reports transdermal SAMe reduces knee pain, during his Babesia dieoff. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/24/08  1:37pm
" 1. Doesn't Babesia sweats mostly just happen at night or do they happen anytime?

I had severe chest pains and night sweats, and babesia does not exist in the UK, I have experienced these same symptoms prior to
taking a course of Antibiotics.

2. Does it always have a fever associated with sweats?

3. Can sweating be part of lyme at all? Yes

4. How accurate are the Babesia tests?

I tested negative under the ELISA and Western blot for the NHS
but still have shown signs of Chronic Lyme.

I also have extreme pain in the plantar surface of my feet, with swelling in feet and fingers and increased memory problems. and increase in blood pressure also increased, with diastolic pressure over 120, both ankles and feet remain painful, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/24/08  4:37pm
" Ponder 44,

Thanks for describing your foot pain and edema. I forwarded a copy of your symptoms to our Babesia patient, who said he had consulted 62 providers, before we suggested he might have Babesia.

I think the Cell Forte must have increased natural killer cells between first negative FISH PCR Babesia test and second positive one. Maybe the cholestyramine cleared enough neurotoxins to cahnge the test result.

This Babesia patient sought help for an unusual excessive sweating and chills pattern, which alternated from one part of his body, to another. He felt more disabled by the uncontrolled sweating, than 6/10 joint pain. The sweating would occur throughout the day and was extremely embarrassing at work.

Ironically, joint pain and chills are what the first pulse of Artemisinin and Mepron decreased.

He also tested positive for Immunoglobin G titers for EBV, HSV1 and HHV 6. More testing is pending. I suspect increasing Natural Killer Cells may have indirectly helped produce the positive Babesia test.

He also had a Factor V Leiden of 148 percent and we are waiting for Protein C and Protein S results. I suspect excess clotting may be part of his problem. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/03/09  4:23pm
" Nattokinase and Intravenous Vitamin C have dramatically reduced patient's Babesia pain.

Nattokinase reduced pain first day taken, with decreased foot pain reported second day, on Nattokinase.

Intravenous Vitamin C produced the most dramatic pain reduction.

Robert received 50,000 milligram intravenous Vitamin C, magnesium sulfate, glutathione, lidocaine and B vitamins, on 7/28/09. He did not appear to have dieoff symptoms, and was able to walk without a limp, with reduced air hunger, after the IV. He continued to have pain, in hands, knees and feet. He felt tired and went to sleep early.

On 7/29/09, Robert returned to Florida Detox for second Vitamin C IV, without cold packs. His ankles felt better and he rested quietly, during infusion. Taurine and Theanine were added to IV. Hands remained painful, appeared swollen, but feet and knees less painful today, and he appears to be breathing easier.

Lisa, Robert’s wife, reported her daughter has painful hands and feet, which hurt occasionally when they occasionally turn blue, in cold water. It was explained that the daughter’,s Reynauds symptoms might be due to a hereditary Factor V Leiden deficiency, which Robert will be tested for.

To Be Continued "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/03/09  5:20pm
" I do lnow that sweating can be a big part of Lyme. I sweat so bad sometimes I am to embarrassed to go out of the house!! Also I notice that when I eat alot of sugar or high carbs I sweat alot more. Wish you luck. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web