Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Probiotics and the immune system
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I just had an "aha" moment. Sometimes it takes me a while to catch on!! lol
I have taking a probiotic for about 6 weeks to help with IBS-D. It seems to work. However,
I think a probiotic boosts the immune system and now I am wondering if I should continue taking it.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
I hope everyone has a blessed and healthy day.
Posted on 09/25/08, 03:25 pm
22 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lupus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/25/08  6:16pm
" I thought probiotics simply mixed good bacteria in with the bad bacteria in your digestive system to keep it more balanced. Hmmm, I will have to do more research on this. Thanks for bringing it up.

peace and love ... Kyle Anne "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/25/08  7:55pm
" I'm with Kyle-Anne on this one, as far as I know the probiotics are just a digestive aid rather than an immune booster. Maybe the marketing spiel could give the impression they are a cure-all. I too will research..don't take them myself but do eat yoghurt regularly. Love, Light and Peace "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/26/08  7:12am
" Probiotics feed the good bacteria, it does not boost the immune system. Also if your digestive problems get worse you can double up or more on your dose. I was taking probiotics and not feeling any better until a health food store worker told me to take 3 or 4 at a time for a few days. I swear I went home and took four and it was the first time in years I was able to lay on my stomach without pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/26/08  5:56pm
" Anything that boosts the immune system lupus patients shouldn't take. However, I'm going to have to agree with the previous comments. We do need those probiotics to balance out the good and bad bacteria in our systems. I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor and see what he/she recommends. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/26/08  8:19pm
" I take probiotics every day in the pearl form. I haven't noticed anything but positive things. I wouldn't say that it increases antibodies (and pain) for me, just that it helped my ulcers and sensitive stomach so very much. I dont' know where Id' be with out them!

I've been on them for several years now and can tell when I forget to take them for a few days b/c my stomach will get upset. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/29/08  11:55pm
" I agree with everyone. No need to worry as pro-biotics do not boost the immune system. What you have to be careful of is echinacea, goldenseal, certain herbs and supplements that boost the immune system. Pro-biotics are actually wonderful for your system so keep taking them!
Melissa "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/01/08  11:02am
" I've read that most auto-immune disorders might be caused by prolonged inflammation in the gut..caused by stress, medication and eating junk food, etc. If you are taking immunosuppressants, or have taken antibiotics then it is a must to take probiotics to restore the natural balance in your stomach. In fact if you've had acid reflux or heartburn this could be a sign of the imbalance as well.
I've been taking probiotics for mys stomach for about a year now, just make sure you don't get it from commercial yogurts in the supermarket like the one Dannon or Activia makes..i think they use a strain of bacteria that is not good for people with auto-immune. Get the ones offered by healthfood stores or Garden of life. For more info about this..get a book Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/23/09  6:26pm
" Yes... probiotics are good for autoimmune disorders. I got on here because of a friend with lupus and hives. She has been taking Qivana probiotics for a week and hives are gone.

Here is info: http://bit.ly/BvBRW

While I'm sure there are other good probiotics, I got her the Qivana ones (I take them as well), because I was impressed with how they are manufactured. See, stomach acid will kill off most of the probiotics in your stomach and upper digestive tract, but the Qivana ones are designed not to dissolve completely until they get to the lower digestive tract.

Probiotics AND stomach enzymes are good to take. 80% of your immune system happens in the gut. Autoimmune disorders are not caused by TOO strong an immune system... just one that is "out of wack."

I've read evidence that a combination of probiotics and stomach enzymes can even help you lose weight, without changing your diet at all... just because you will process food more efficiently.

I've only been taking them for a couple of weeks... but I'll let you know if I see a weight difference. One of my friends lost 15 pounds in 2 months and they felt it was from the probiotics and enzymes... I'm hoping they are right and it works for me as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/23/09  7:13pm
" It would appear to me that Qivana Sue is on DS to push her product, not to offer advice.
I don't think anyone with any type of auto immune disease should try something that its supposed to be a "cure-all" without talking to their doctor.
I looked up the website and its nothing but a MLM company trying to recruit people to sell their product.
Makes one stop and think........ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/31/09  10:01pm
" Not necessarily trying to "push" anything, as I said, there are many sources for probiotics, but, yes, I went with the Qivana line because I did a lot of research and was impressed with their patented triple delivery system and the fact that Dr. Marcus Laux (author of "Natural Woman, Natural Menopause" and "User's Guide to the Top 10 Natural Therapies") is on their advisory board. Google Dr. Laux and you'll see why I was impressed.

Also, since I knew I was going to stay on these probiotics (since they were the only thing I had tried that worked), I signed up as an IBO because, as one, I get a lower price for the product and can make commission if one of my friends starts using them (I have 4 with health conditions that could potentially be helped with probiotics, in fact the one with LUPUS had just had her Doctor recommend she start taking them).

I recommend things I use and believe in anyway (don't you tell people about movies you like, stuff you have tried that works?) and the "break even" point is about 4-5 referrals. If I can use them myself without them actually costing me anything because of referral commissions, that's a "win-win" in my book.

The evidence for probiotics in boosting your immune system and aiding digestion is there. Just Google "probiotics, immune system, digestion, auto-immune" and you'll find lots of papers written by medical professionals describing the research that has taken place the last few years.

So the question then becomes... if I'm going to be taking probiotics... are all probiotics created equal?

Unfortunately, no.

On the quality side, it doesn't matter how much probiotics are in a supplement (or yogurt) when manufactured, what matters is what gets to the GI tract. About 80% of the probiotics in yogurt are killed by stomach acid before they reach the GI tract.

With supplements, according to two studies... ConsumerLabs.com and DataMonitor the quality of off the shelf products is spotty, at best. ConsumerLabs found that 8 of 13 probiotic supplements met their quality standards while a Datamonitor study found that of 55 products evaluated, 40% had undetectable amounts of probiotics and 47% of the bacterial identities were mislabeled.

This is pretty common, other studies have shown that off the shelf supplements typically have pretty low absorption rates, you are probably already aware of this.

The manufacturing process and delivery system, absorption rate, etc., is very important. If you spend $10 for something that is only 20% effective, and $30 for something that is 80-90% effective, which is cheaper in the end?

The manufacturing process, quality and delivery system for the Qivana products is very good... do you own research and you'll find out.

The other thing I liked about the Qivana 3-part system is that you are also getting a blend of herbs (crown herb, chinese skullcap and white korean ginseng) that work together to reduce stress, effect hormone levels and boost immunity. Google "adaptogens to learn more." AND you are getting a free detox every 3 months.

All three of these products work together and all have solid science, and quality manufacturing, behind them.

Again though... no one is twisting anyone's arm here... you must do your own research and come to your own conclusions, as I did. That is what these forums are for and I hope I contributed some useful knowledge.

But do try to keep an open mind. I don't think how a product is sold... whether it's by CVS, Walgreens or an MLM, should matter. By the way, the founder and CEO of Qivana, Derek Hall, used to be President of Nature's Way and, before that, Chief Sales Officer of McKesson, so he had plenty of experience selling with the "off the shelf" model yet chose to launch this company using a direct sales platform.

But how a product is sold (store, internet, direct sales, catalog), should not matter. What should matter is... is it good quality and does it help you? Another thought though... I wonder what would happen if I asked CVS or Walgreens if they will give me free products if I refer enough other customers to them? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web