Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Work and Lupus
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I was wondering how many people with lupus are able to work 40 hours per week and how many sick days do you need to take generally speaking. I had to quit a job that was pretty physical 3 and a half years ago due to the neuropathy and arthritis in my wrists. I have gone back to school and am almost done, but am scarred the stress and being up and going 40 hours per week will trigger another bad flare up.
Posted on 02/25/08, 03:56 am
30 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lupus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/25/08  7:04am
" I work 40 hours per week. However, I have missed around 30 days in the last 12 months. I have just got written up at work for missing too much and it reflects on my reviews at work. So, I am going to try and go on FMLA. There is an FMLA where you work and you can use it as needed as long as you don't exceed 60 days per year. Then they can not hold my absences against me:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/25/08  8:05am
" I had to give work up because of my illness, I really miss working, I enjoyed my job very much, I would love to go back to work but it made me very sick trying to keep up. I wish I had an answer for you, but every case is different. You may have to find a job that is very easy for you and not physical and fewer hrs depending on how advanced your disease is and how often you go through flares. Some people are able to function and others are not. hope I could help! Good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/25/08  10:35am
" I work 40 hour per week and really cannot say that I have ever had to take any more days off then anybody else would. As a matter I probably take far less time off due to sickness then most people. But I am still in the process of filing for FMLA just to be on the safe side in the future. Since I do not know where this disease is taking me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/25/08  12:19pm
" I wk 40 hrs/wk I am going on FMLA as my sick time is 12 hours a quarter-prtty tough with lupus, I'm in a flare now, right elbow of course I'm right handed. My house is a mess. I just do my 8 hrs and nothing else. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/25/08  1:13pm
" Thank you for your comments and advice. What is FMLA? Do all jobs have this or only big corporations or government jobs? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/25/08  1:49pm
" i work 40 hours a week, and go to school full time, and about to start an internship which i'll have to work an extra 10-12 hours a week. thankfully i've only missed 3 days due to being sick, which was only a cold. i actually try really hard and push myself to work. I have a desk job, so its not that hard, then only thing is worrying about all the fatigue "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/25/08  2:14pm
" I cant even walk for 30 minutes. i dont know how im going to find a job. xD im pushing 16 and i really want to help my mom out with the bills. but idk. i have to wait untill im accually 16 to start looking....or apply to publix....i already did though......aww i just realized they didnt call me back. xD "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/28/08  11:33pm
" Hi Adene,

FMLA stands for Family Medical Leave Act. Any business that has over a certain number of employees (I think 50) has to offer FMLA. FMLA protects you when you have a chronic condition (such as Lupus). You can use 12 weeks per year if the doctor orders it for you or a family members chronic health condition. You can use all 12 weeks at once or use it as needed. The doctor has to complete an application from your work stating what your condition is and how it impairs you and order FMLA. To go off of FMLA (if used as needed) or to return to work (if used all at once), your doctor has to sign a release. Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/29/08  3:07am
" hi i just started working again but i can't handle 40 hrs yet i tried before and ended up in the hospital again so now i am just tryin 35 hours a week its not much money but it helps me to keep my self busy and every little bit helps and plus ssa won't let me work more than that i am not aloud to make more money than what i get amonth from the gov and thats the only weay i can afford my meds it sucks but oh well i guess thts how it works "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/29/08  4:32pm
" Work is hard. . .somedays I want to give up. But you can't then lupus wins. Going back to school was a great idea. What did you study? Maybe you can start out slow. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web