Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Lasik eye surgery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I went to the Lasik vision institute to get a consultation to have my vision corrected, and they said I can't have the surgery because I have lupus. They said it's too risky and that I may not heal correctly. A few of my friends got it done, but they don't have lupus, and now say they're very happy they had the surgery. Great. It's just annoying that we can't do all these things that other people can, now this is just one more. I'm tired of how dry my eyes get with contacts. And glasses are annoying. I can live with it, but it just sucks. I know this is probably not likely, but has anyone had this eye surgery with lupus???
Posted on 04/08/07, 10:22 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lupus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/08/07  10:41pm
" With this inflamatory disease...the healing may not be uniform. It would negate the procedure because you can't compensate for where the uneven healing will be. It doesn't seem fair. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/30/07  10:24pm
" I don't yet know if I have Lupus but waiting. I have had fibromyalgia for 20 years.

I had lasik about 2 years ago. My eyesight was 20/600 & 20/700....very nearsighted. I ask the nurse about fibro since it is considered an autoimmune illness but she said it wasn't on the list of "not to have lasik". I informed them the reason I wanted the Lasik is because my eyes are so very dry my tork contact lense wouldn't stay where they should so my vision was always blurry.

I did have the Lasik but had to have the epi instead of the flap due to thin skin. They place a contact lense on your eye after the procedure to hold the skin in place until it heals. During the time I had the lense on I had 20/35 vision. After taking the lense off my vision dropped to 20/40. Two months later it dropped to 20/70/ 20/80. When the sudden drop happened I had gone back on my Elavil for the fibro since I had stopped taking it 10 days before the procedure. They don't want you to take anything the day before, the day of or the day after that would dry your eyes out. Long story is the reason my vision isn't 20/20 is mainly because my eyes are so very dry the surface of the eye looks like a raisin so the dr. says. I have to wear glasses since contacts literally stick to my eyes within 20 mins. and it is painful to remove them.

If I literally put eye drops in every 10 to 15 mins. within 2 hours or so I have near 20/20 vision. The dr. said he has never seen anyone with eyes this dry. I believe it is the fibro, meds. and heaven only knows. If you have Lupus you might go through the same thing. It's better to wear contacts or glasses than not have any eyesight. The upside of my Lasik is at least my glasses are thin now instead of very thick. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/04/07  12:07am
" Alot of people tend to build up xtra scar tissue..check your cuts , do you scar easily? If you do I wouldn't put myself at risk for the surgery, it could make things worse instead of better. I know I want Lasik too, but my keloid scars keep me from trying it..they are bad enough on my stomach I don't want them distorting my eyesight more. Just my thoughts. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/23/11  8:09am
" there is another procedure here in australia , i think its called prk . i could not get lasik but i got prk , years ago. no problems . best thing i ever did. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/23/11  11:43am
" Fibro is not an autoimmune disease. I got a type of laser eye surgery different from LASIK but it was well before my diagnosis. I had very bad vision and now I have 20/30 vision. I did have 20/20 for like 7 years. I am sorry to hear that you cannot have laser correction but maybe you can get the one I had done that is like LASIK? I wish you luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/23/11  1:24pm
" I only have the skin lupus. I have CFS and fibromyalgia. I had Lasik because, like Paws, I couldn't wear contacts anymore. I was constantly reading law books and since my eye muscles weren't working well, I couldn't read with glasses. For some reason, with contacts on I could read.

So I was determined to have the Lasik. So I could still do the heavy reading I did when I could still work.

To sum up, I have never had a "normal" reaction to anything. My lab results are always weird; my side effects are weird; my immune system is just plain weird. I can't tell you how many different kinds of doctors have told me, "I've been in practice for 25 years and I've never seen a reaction like this . . . . ."

I had the Lasik. Then I had the reaction. Inflammation like the doctor had never before seen. I was incapacitated. It was awful, horrible, a nightmare.

But unlike Paws, I recovered, thankfully. I am so grateful to have 20/20 vision in both eyes. It is the only positive medical development I've had in 10 years.

I know I'm lucky for this. I feel for you, Paws, so sorry for what you went through and are still living with.

When making this decision, you have to believe yourself about your own body, your own responses. You can't just take the doctor's word that everything will be fine.

My doctor said it would be a piece of cake. I was not prepared for that inflammation that he had "never seen before. "You have to think of how you react as an individual. Don't just listen to the doctor.

I don't know what I would have done had he said that Lasik wasn't for me. It doesn't matter anymore, because I'm too brain-fogged to practice law and I can't read anymore, not even a novel. But it mattered then. And I am STILL grateful for my vision.

The only thing I can recommend, Elisa, is to get second and third medical opinions. But if they are the same, then it is better to live with your vision the way it is, as Paws said.

Good luck. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web