Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
medical ID bracelet
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am wondering if anyone wears a medical ID bracelet with their condition/meds on the backside? It was pointed out to me that since I am on such a high dose of steroid that i should have an alert bracelet.
Anyone feel it is that necessary? Just curious whether I should look into it and how you go about it and such.
Kerry
Posted on 07/25/11, 12:19 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lupus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/25/11  12:55am
" I would definitely look into a MedicAlert bracelet. Medical personnel are trained to look for the bracelets and they could really save your life, especially in a circumstance where no family is nearby and you cannot communicate for yourself. Just google "MedicAlert" and you should be able to find the site very easily. They will also (as long as policies haven't changed since I got mine) give you a card for your wallet that contains a much more detailed medical history than can fit on the bracelet.

Hope this helps.
It is definitely worth the peace of mind. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/25/11  11:14am
" Hello,
I am not on steriods as of yet but have been prescribed Plaquenil, Methotrexate, and Enbrel...do you think that I should obtain a medical bracelet as well? I never even thought of that! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/25/11  6:46pm
" I got a necklace because I am allergic to penicillin, and when I started mtx, they said to carry something at all times indicating I am on it. Also, I list Plaquenil because of the eye issues. All of my doctors thought it was a good idea. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/26/11  1:26pm
" Hi. I have been wearing a medical alert bracelet for 10 years and I advise anyone who has lupus and is on meds, especially steroids, to wear one. It can save your life....I even have a USB keychain on my purse that has all my medical info, meds, conditions, etc. on it just in case something happens to me and I have to go to the hospital. My bracelet front has my name on it and says STEROIDS & Blood Thinners. The back says I have APS/Lupus and has 3 emergency numbers on it. Then, it has a heart dangle on it that has my dr.s name and phone num on it and says STEROIDS again and USB keychain...I dont think its really necessary to put the other meds on the bracelet but if u are on steroids its really important to have it engraved. I got mine from American medical bracelet. My USB is a really cute one made by
"a very special heart".

Jen...I dont think you need to wear a medical alert bracelet for the meds you are on. But, you should have a card in your wallet or a medical USB hub with all your conditions & meds on it. I only got the bracelet because Im on blood thinners and steroids. Those meds can cause serious problems if not known about where as plaq., mtx, & enbrel. Definitely get something to keep in your purse though.
Hugs "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/26/11  3:43pm
" I'm never without my medical alert bracelet. It contains every single med I take & of course their files have other relevant info to one's condition & I know from experience how it's helped the hospital as they can access information they might so desparately need. I keep one card in my wallet & I've got the other in the car. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/26/11  8:15pm
" I take a lot of meds, haven't got a medic alert yet but need to.
I do keep a list of medications that I take in my wallet with my insurance and Drivers license that my Dr. prints of for me . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/27/11  9:41pm
" Your doctor would probably be the best one to ask if it is necessary that you wear one. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web