Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
physical touch, quality time love language and LDR
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
so if any of you have heard of the book the five love languages I am a Phyiscal touch and quality time person. I was wondering if you have heard of this book, and how do you cope with the distance?
Posted on 03/10/12, 06:36 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Long Distance Relationships (LDR). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/10/12  9:09am
" Yes, I've heard of the book and my love language is physical touch and quality time also. My partner's love language is the same.

I/we cope with the distance by keeping busy with other things going on in our lives, activities, friends, we talk on the phoneevery day (usually morning and evening), visit as often as possible which for us is every few months for 3 to 4 weeks at a time and we plan for our next visit.

It's very difficult not having the physical and not being able to spend the time together but we deal with it by knowing it will all be worth it in the end when we are together permanently. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/10/12  11:20am
" Those are my top 2 love languages as well! Sometimes I wish mine was words because with LD that's pretty much what you get. Tons of words.
We just had a visit 3 weeks ago, so I got in tons of touch and time. He gave me a t-shirt he'd worn a few times, and I sleep with that now. I really snuggle it tightly - its still in my grasp when I wake up!
He's made 2 CD's for me. While this covers several love languages - gift, act of service, words, I tell myself that it took him awhile to make, and that during that time, his thoughts were all concentrated on me, so that counts as quality time. Same thing when I listen to it - I'm in my car, blocking out everything else, and just enjoying spending time listening to his thoughts about me expressed through music.
I am having a rought ime right now, though. We started a conversation on Thursday that was really important to me, but it got cut short. Yesterday he was super busy, so we didn't talk. Now I just found out he'll be at a trade show for work today. So I am NOT getting my quality time at the moment, and it hurts. And it sucks. I hate just waiting for him to have time for me. That's the downside to the "staying busy" part of an LDR - sometimes he's TOO busy to talk to me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/11/12  9:58pm
" I've heard of this but haven't had the chance to see what mine is yet. Sounds very interesting! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/14/12  8:35pm
" All you have to do is a search for the Five Love Languages, and the website will come up, and you can take the quiz! Fascinating, and very helpful in relationships. When we don't show our love in the ways that are most meaningful to our partners, they don't really feel it - and vice versa, of course. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/15/12  7:21pm
" Thanks! Just completed it tonight. My top two are Quality Time and Words of Affirmation. I think it was pretty spot on...and very interesting! I need to forward these results to my SO, lol. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/13/12  8:38am
" so i was doing some research on this topic as i often battle with this. but i found this in the Q &A section of the love languages website and I wanted to share this all with you.

15. How do I speak my spouse’s love language if he/she is away from me for a time (i.e. deployment, work, school).

I am frequently asked how to apply the 5 love languages in long-distance relationships. Physical touch and quality time are particularly challenging in these instances. The simple answer is this: you must be creative and committed to staying connected despite the distance.

If your love language is physical touch, then here are a few creative ideas for speaking one another’s love language. First, having photographs of yourself as a couple may remind you of enjoyable times together. Having physical items that belong to one another may also remind you of one another. Perhaps a shirt or the cologne or perfume of your significant other may remind you of that person and of enjoyable times together. You also should email, text, write, etc., about how you enjoy being with one another. You might even try keeping a calendar on which you physically mark off the days until you’re able to be with one another again. This is not a comprehensive list of ideas, but all of these are physical activities and items that will at least in part help satisfy your physical love language.

As for quality time, the time you spend staying in contact, working to encourage one another, sending one another notes and gifts, etc… is quality time. Of course, it’s not the preferred form of quality time, but it is quality time nonetheless. You must learn to view it and appreciate it as such.

More specific ways you can express the language of quality time are to talk often about how you desire to stay close and keep your love alive. Read or re-read The 5 Love Languages together while you’re apart, or listen to Dr. Chapman’s podcasts, and discuss these together as a way of nurturing your relationship. This, too, requires commitment, but if you truly love one another, then you’ll find the energy and time to stay connected.

Use your situation as an opportunity to practice the other languages as well. Notes and gifts need to be viewed as more than “just” notes and gifts. They need to be viewed as physical effort and words of affirmation meant to express love.

In closing, yes, distance is difficult on a relationship, but it does not have to be the end of the relationship. Obviously, the more time you can spend together, the better. And, you should strive for this. However, if you are a committed couple and are willing to be creative in how you speak one another’s love language, then your relationship can survive and even thrive during your time apart. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web