Why do I feel disconnected from everything?
No matter where I am I feel disconnected from everyone around me. I feel that I don't belong. When I am around my family it is worse. I have felt this way for about 11 years and figured the isolation would go away. I try and remain positive when others are around but at times the isolation is hard too overcome. I have no one to talk to about this and was hoping to find some answers to why I feel so distant from my surroundings. The thing is I have no reason to feel this way, there have been no events that would cause me to feel lonely all the time. Anyone out there have any insight to this?
Posted on 06/11/09, 05:26 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Loneliness. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 06/11/09  6:06pm
" Have you tried talking to someone about your feelings? A friend or family member? Maybe the conversation itself will help you bond. "
Reply #2 - 06/11/09  7:20pm
" Everytime I have attempted to speak to my family about it, they think I am not being serious and brush me off. As for my friends they think I can't have any issues since they always see me in a positive state of mind. I tell them how I am feeling and they dismiss what I tell them. "
Reply #3 - 06/11/09  9:46pm
" Have you tried listening to your friends and family members? Asking them how their life is going? Sometimes to connect with someone you need to relate and sympathize with them first. "
Reply #4 - 06/11/09  11:49pm
" Sometimes I feel disconnected because I feel that I have nothing in common with the people around me. I raised in a very strict religious home in which I was taught the "norm" way of doing things was sinful and wrong. So, as I became an adult, I tried to change my thinking pattern because I wasnt raised in a very accepting home. I am very open minded but I think my ways are still that of how I was raised. I feel that I dont connect well with others because I wasnt exposed to a lot growing up. Just church and school. "
Reply #5 - 06/12/09  2:42am
" Try not to be so hard on yourself. Attitude towards a situation goes a long way. Just approach people in a confident manner and don't worry about not fitting in. Be happy with who you are. :) "
Reply #6 - 06/12/09  3:03pm
" can relate directly to your experience self imposed exile robison crusoe syndrome.You get used to it till you eventually come to embrace it. The inner self, the tragic misery, life in a bubble you have to love it to love yourself face the fear like its a friend. "
Reply #7 - 06/12/09  6:30pm
" Maybe you can try online counseling.I feel depress when other people are around me. "
Reply #8 - 06/12/09  11:58pm
" Hey Javila8,
Quick question: Are you adopted? If not it's fine, but I am. And I feel exactly the same way you do. I get what you are saying with not fitting in. It's like you are trying so hard to fit in and belong, but no matter what you do you know it is not enough. Sorry if this is bringing up bad stuff for you, I did not intend for that to happen.

Back to the adopted question. I have a theory that adopted kids feel this way because of their adoption. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I am right or just nuts, but either way I hope this has helped a little bit.
-R "
Reply #9 - 06/13/09  8:35am
" My suggestion to you is to find yourself. It sounds like a piece in you is missing or is not being fulfilled. I know this because I feel the same way. I let a good man go because I felt he wasn`t fulfilling my needs. I know now it was me not fulfilling my needs.

There is always that one thing from your past that brings you where you are today. It may be little or it may be big. But it is causing you to feel disconnected. Figure out what it is. Until you do. I don`t think you can change how you feel. "
Reply #10 - 06/13/09  4:15pm
" RJE1987, I am not adopted, but what you said makes sense, I can not imagine what people that are adopted go though. When I am around my family I can't get comfortable around them, I know they love me but I still feel out of place when I am around them. When I do go home everyone is happy to see me and everyone wants me around them but again I know I don't belong. I have tried speaking to them but they don't take me seriously. As GoldfishCM suggested I have tried asking them about their lives.

Meha, I think you are right. A piece of me is missing, that maybe what is also causing my insomnia. I have a good idea of what is missing. "