Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Dairy and panic attacks?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I recently found out (without any doctors help, so no tests were run,) that i am lactose intolerant, and i've figured out it is the main cause of my panic attacks and anxiety! I can't find much about panic attacks and LI online, but i read on one site what sounded like panic attacks might be linked to a milk allergy, though i have had soy cheesa with casein in it and have been fine. (i can't really afford to get tests done right now to see if i have an allergy.)

anyway, i was just really really curious if anyone else gets panic/ anxiety symptoms on top of the usual LI symptoms? Just so i don't feel so alone in such strange symptoms.

(after eating dairy, if it's just a little, i can handle the slight stomach pain, but the panic attack that follows is horrible. after finding out about my LI, i had two, TWO slices of kraft cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich, besides the fun stomach ache, i felt like the wold was crashing down on me and it was one of the worst, longest-lasting panic attacks i've ever had!)

I looove cheese, but i'm more than willing to give it up if it means no more panic attacks! : )
Posted on 01/28/10, 12:18 am
35 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lactose Intolerance. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/25/10  1:21pm
" We have been dealing with an issue regarding my son and Diarrhea. We went to General Practioner, Phychologist, Nutrtionist and finally GI. Son had colonoscopy which found LI. We thought it diarrhea was due to panic attacks (husband has them). Finally have answers and trying to find alternatives for Dairy products such as butter, cheese and half-n-half. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/26/10  11:10pm
" I finally joined to post something similar, although not exactly. I've been having a lot of nausea, stomach aches, diarrhea and yuck feeling for several months. And anxiety after eating. Finally got so frequent I went to the doctor. She ran a bunch of tests--all negative. She thinks it could be lactose intolerance. She gave me orders to avoid dairy and put me on Prilosec. She isn't ready yet to officially diagnose me as LI but it doesn't seem to be anything else. I didn't mention the anxiety, I should have.

Now ever since this diagnoses I have had such anxiety almost all the time. I think mainly I'm afraid of having a dairy "episode", and I'm afraid it's something else worse even though the tests were negative. It has impacted my appetite--I can feel my stomach growling but I'm afraid to eat much. I've lost a few pounds. I noticed anxiety would happen during a dairy episode before I was diagnosed, but mainly I think because I didn't know what was causing it and was freaking out. The hunger/nausea feeling at the same time is the worst. It's so hard to eat to appease the hunger because I feel like puking, but I'm so hungry I get headaches and feel dizzy. My body wants fuel, but my brain is afraid to eat.

As far as LI, diarrhea is much more infrequent now that I'm off dairy. Only have big time stomach aches when I eat dairy. Nausea is more infrequent. Symtoms aren't completely gone, but better.

I'm 27 years old, always been pretty healthy. This constant anxiety is wearing me down. I'm about to go back to the doctor and ask for meds. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/28/10  11:32pm
" beckyh82, i hope you get to read this reply, unless your doc talked to you about a milk allergy.

i'm 100% convinced i have not just LI but a milk allergy, which means i'm allergic to a protein in milk called Casein. I believe, no i know this is what is causing my panic attacks, anxiety, that tight feeling in my chest, apprehension, feeling yucky, everything! casein is in sooo much food, supposedly it's even in some latex gloves and other non-edible things! it can be hard to avoid, but try reading every ingredient in everything you put in your mouth and avoid dairy and anything with casein, (pretty much any ingredient with case in the name contains casein,) for a week and see how you feel. check out www.godairyfree.org, they have alot of info and resouces and are a great site in general.

i've gone 4 or 5 days with eating absolutly no casein, and i have never felt so wonderful and relaxed in my life, then i ate some soy yougurt with L. Casei in it and within an hour had panic-y symptoms, and horrible anxiety that became so bad i felt like i was going to pass out. this lasted for a couple of days, and then i felt so much better.

do some research on casein/ milk allergies, because you could also be allergic to whey (also in a lot of stuff.) don't go hungry, just read all ingredients very carefully, casein, whey and lactose hide where you least expect it. and if you want to ask any questions or anything, feel free to message me.

ps. a blood test or skin patch test should be able to determine if you have a milk allergy, though unfortunatly i can't afford one right now. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/02/10  11:33pm
" Thank you smallvle. I will consider that. I'm open to any suggestions. In researching LI I did read that a milk allergy is a completely separate thing.
Now with a milk allergy, can I eat lactose free stuff or no?

My appetite has been so poor lately, especially the past four days. I had cereal this morning and went to work, about an hour into work all of a sudden I felt VERY light headed, the room spun, people's voices sounded low, I knew I was going to faint. I sat down, my wonderful coworkers brought me some juice and chocolate, I started to feel slightly better but stil dizzy. Embarrassing, but what can you do. My coworkers drove me home.

I went to the doctor again this afternoon, she thinks it's just the stomach flu but she is going to do an ultrasound to see if there might be a gall stone somewhere or maybe bile. All my other blood tests have come out negative.

Still feel dizzy tonight, I'm eating what i can--a little soup and an apple, and drinking Gatoraid. This is not like me at all, I have always been very healthy. This experience has been very scary. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/04/10  8:45pm
" looong message back beckyh82, check your messages, i'll send you an e-mail on DS. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/05/10  12:33am
" thank you so much! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/05/10  9:45am
" any time! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/06/10  1:46pm
" Has anyone tried Pribiotics? I guess it's good bacteria for your stomach. One of my friends went through what I'm going through trying to sort out stomach issues and he swears by them. He also said even though it can be really hard to try as much as I can to always keep a little something in my stomach. He described something so similar to my experience--naseau, zero appetite, you don't eat for awhile which just makes your stomach hurt more until you're in pain.

Had a good day yesterday. But woke up today with that familiar nausea feeling and poor appetite, this triggered some moderate anxiety. I took a Prilosec and had a bowl of cereal with lactaid milk. I think I'm going to go over to GNC today and get some pribiotics. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/07/10  5:44pm
" i've tried papaya extracts (pineapple flavored chewable pills,) but you have to take them with every meal and i always forget. they work well when you take them all the time though. they're just a digestive aid- thing though. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/08/10  8:36pm
" So I started NutraFlora yesterday--fructooligosaccharides (FOS), a non-digestible carbohydrate which aids the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria such as bifidus and acidophilus. Took my first pill about 4pm.

At about 2am I woke up with strong, painful intestinal cramps and some farting. I sat on the toilet for a bit but didn't go, then went back to bed and slept the rest of the night. Wooow! Mild stomach ache in the morning which gradually went away after I ate something at noon. Felt ok enough to go into work. Feel okay now around dinner time, although appetite is still very poor.

The cramps were scary, yet at the same time, I felt like something was happening in there. Something was being purged or some kind of imbalance worked out ... I hope, hope this is a good sign that something is being fixed. Just took my second pill, we'll see how it goes. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web