Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Non-dairy cooking
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I recently found out that I have an intolerance to dairy. After years of being afflicted with stomach trouble a new doctor I went to see finally uncovered the underlying cause.

The bloodwork did not show an allergy to dairy but the diet change is suggesting it. I stopped eating dairy for a week then drank a glass of milk and a horrible stomachache immediately followed.

I have yet to find a dairy product that doesn't negatively effect my stomach. My doc says if that remains to be the case then it's likely the bloodwork showed a false negative.

The problem I'm running into is with cooking. I never realized before how much dairy is involved with cooking.

Does anyone know of a good non-dairy butter and where I might find it?

Any ideas for recipes or dairy replacements?
Posted on 11/16/11, 11:18 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lactose Intolerance. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/20/11  10:09pm
" There are a lot of alternatives once you begin looking. The best place is a health food store. I use coconut milk from the can, not the actual milk for a lot of things and it doesn't taste like coconut. There are spreads that are non dairy and you can cook with them. Coconut oil can replace butter too. It's a big change, but once you're aware of it and have the ingredients it gets easier. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/20/11  10:12pm
" The way I understand lactose intolerance is some people have the allergy while others just are intolerant. Maybe that is why it isn't showing up in the blood work. I have never been tested or diagnosed officailly, but I know when I eat it my belly hurts. The better I am about not eating things with dairy, the more sensitive I get.
The toughest part for me is the emotional side of it. I LOVE dairy. So some days I have pity parties and eat things and then end up paying for it. Hang in there. It gets easier. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/20/11  9:49am
" Hi, I'm new here and Lactose Intolerant, i can't have anything with milk in it other wise i end up in hospital as i have such a bad reaction to it. Once i made changes to my diet i noticed a huge change in how i felt, and my tummy wasn't as swollen as it would normally be with milk in my diet.

I use Pure sunflower spread, that has no milk in it, you can usually buy it in Sainsburys, Asda or Tescos. And its not expensive either unlike some dairy free foods.

For recipes you should use the Lactose website, i get most of my recipes there, but i also use every day recipes and just change a few things, like milk and butter to my own stuff.

Hope this helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/26/11  10:04pm
" I use Olive oil based butters and margarines. I also use plain yogurt in place of sour cream and I have no problems digesting these. Yogurt is a great option frozen as well when I crave Ice cream. Applesauce can be put into baked goods in place of butter most times. I hope this helps. :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/06/12  2:09pm
" Earth Balance brand makes non-dairy spread (similar to whipped butter in a plastic container). They also make natural shortening that comes in a box with 4 half-cup sticks similar to butter sticks. Both are refrigerated. I've found the taste and consistency to be excellent butter substitutes. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/26/12  1:45pm
" So is yogurt lactose free? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/03/12  9:26am
" My vote goes to Earth Balance products. That is the best butter substitute I have found. I can't have yogurt it bothers my stomach worse than cheese. Yogurt is definitely dairy.
For those times when I just have to have lactose I use Dairy Aide pills. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web