Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Stomach symptoms start 12 hours after dairy
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello,

I've been having stomach problems the past 2 weeks and had suspected a newly developed lactose intolerance, but find that my symptoms appear 12 hours after eating dairy. Is this possible?

Also, I spent the past few years living in Asia where they only sold UHT milk and I had a very low-dairy diet.

Then I spent 3 weeks in France where after a bout of the flu I was given antibiotics which really upset my stomach for the 5 days I was on them, but those symptoms disappeared when I went off them.

Then I returned to the US where I've been having stomach problems pretty much since I arrived, occurring about every other day for the past 2 weeks. I tried cutting out diary for 3 days and seemed fine, then I had pizza last night and woke in the morning with stomach cramps and gas and bloating again.

Is it possible that LI symptoms can be so delayed? If not, I guess there are a million other things it could be with all of my recent moving around.

-Rick
Posted on 09/02/11, 08:29 am
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Lactose Intolerance. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/03/11  1:14pm
" Yes I notice especially pizza can do that to me. However, you might have other stuff going on maybe you should check it out? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/20/11  1:14am
" Yes you can get a delayed response to intolerances for sure. Sometimes I think the lactose isn't affecting me then wham, 12-24 hours later it does. I also get massive bloating with it. Try staying dairy free for a week and if your symptoms disappear then I'd say that is what is causing it. I am definitely dairy intolerant, aswell as lactose.
Hope this helps abit "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/02/12  10:00pm
" I was just about to post a question of the same nature. I haven't been to the doctor as yet, but I am possibly going to go next week. Problem is, I don't have health insurance here, but I do in Australia. And tests are going to cost a lot. Anyway, I have always loved milk, I used to drink it like water... probably way too much of it, especially in summer. I don't know if it is possible to create a problem like lactose intolerance by drinking too much dairy???? On average I would drink a gallon of milk a day during summer and around half a gallon during winter. If I don't drink milk, I crave it. A few months ago I started to get bloated, cramps and severe pain and indigestion which I had never experienced before. I had a hysterectomy a few months before these symptoms and I assumed that it was just my stomach being still tender. I was starting to get rather concerned and the pain was almost unbearable at times. Then I went and visited friends for a week and didn't drink any milk at all and I was fine the whole time. I didnt' pay to much heed because the symptoms had been coming and going. When I arrived back home, I was craving dairy and had 3 glasses of milk. Within a few hours I was in pain again and my stomach was bloated to the point that it was sore to touch. It was then that I realised that milk may be the thing that is causing these symptoms. I avoided milk for 10 days and didn't get any pain or discomfort. I was craving milk so bad the other night that I had just one very small glass (also using this as an experiment to see if I would get the symptoms back). You guessed, within 6 or 7 hours I was in severe pain, swollen abdomin etc. I researched Lactose intolerance on the internet and it says mostly that you get symptoms within 2 hours after drinking milk, however my symptoms don't present until at least 6 hours and sometimes not until the next day. I will go to the doctor and have it checked, but I am fairly certain that it is milk related in my case. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/10/12  12:54am
" Try rice milk instead, its yummy and has no dairy/lactose, I am having this now instead of milk. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/17/12  4:18am
" Yeah, the intolerance came and went for a while for me before it finally came and didn't leave :( It seems that some things are higher in lactose than others. Cheese doesn't bother me immediately, but milk or ice cream or yogurt will. I can tolerate small amounts of cheese without a problem and cream in my coffee isn't an issue either. They say that most people slowly stop producing the enzymes to digest lactose as they age. So it can come on slowly.

Have you tried using lactase pills? That was how I finally figured out it was lactose; after two weeks of pain I bought a box and took one and within an hour I felt so much better. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web