Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
kidney stone AND bowel trouble?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is it possible to have a kidney stone that aggravates the colon and causes even more pain with diarrhea and constipation?

My mom had A LOT of fiber last week and so we thought the pain was coming from the intestines, but since it did not go away after several diarrhea episodes, we went to urgent care and they took a urine sample and saw traces of blood in the urine. They determined it was a kidney stone.

I am not familiar with kidney stones... does anyone know if the bowels can act up during the time one tries to pass a kidney stone? She has had a kidney stone one other time, but instead of having bowel trouble, she was vomitting! Now, it seems to be causing bowel trouble. Are these normal symptoms?
Posted on 03/24/09, 02:22 pm
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Kidney Stones. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/04/09  10:14am
" I don't know if it's "normal" but I have diarrhea when I have a bout with kidney stones. I am trying to pass my eleventh stone, and there is only one time I can think of that I didn't have diarrhea. I also have irritable bowel, so that may be making the issue worse. I'd like to know if that is normal for stones, cause I sure do have trouble with it! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/05/09  1:20pm
" Thanks for your response, whitsinn. I guess it would only make sense that when something is wrong in the lower region of the body, the intestines would be affected, too. You might want to try acidophilus for your IBS. I know it has helped me. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/05/09  4:07pm
" Acidophilus is the BEST thing I have ever taken for my IBS. A true God send! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/28/09  6:39pm
" I just had a urterscopy on my kidney stones Tuesday.I am not having problems with diarrhea but the complete opposite.I have not had a BM since the surgery.My doctor told me it is a side effect of the vicodin.Mabey cut the pill in half?I did have problems vomiting on the first two days but it passed.Hope this helps.Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/08/09  6:28pm
" I was wondering the same thing if they are both linked in some way. I can go 2 weeks with no BM and trust me i feel it. Usually i go often i eat alot of fiber. I feel the urges but when i go to bathroom nothing happens. Well i was standing in kitchen cooking and i just had the worst pain that shot through my abdomen. They havent seen anything on x-rays but i just hat ct scan but i wont get the results till end of July. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/29/09  11:20pm
" I've had the same problem since my kidney stone epsidode started. Vicodin sucks when it comes to pooping. I went 6 days w/out a BM before I forced it by takiing a laxative. I cleared it out before my surgery but then had the same issue again so the pharmacist had me do a supository to empty things out. Thankfully I've stopped taking the vicodine so I"m now praying I can actually go potty correctly. What a fun thing to have added to the mix when you're having enough trouble peeing and then to add not pooping. Gadzooks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/05/09  8:55pm
" I get stomach irritationg with my stones too, although they told me it isn't a symptom. When I get bad pain, I get a horrible upset stomach and nausea...suddenly, and at the same time. It has a specific feeling, and that's how I know it's a stone. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web