Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Dr. Oz says.....
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
First of all, I am not a huge Dr. Oz fan....I find him intriguing and occasionally watch - and that is how I heard him talk about the colon and say that sauerkraut can be soothing to persons with IBS ~ and other similar disturbances. Even he admitted that it sounds surprising ~ but he had some patients say it was helpful.

So ~ I usually have sauerkraut on New Year's day...it's a tradition :) and decided it didn't have to be relegated to once-a-year status. As a matter of fact, it has made a lovely and filling fall dish to have over mashed potatoes ~ and I have found it soothing! It was worth a try!

I have no idea why it works - neither did Dr. Oz. And I don't always agree with what he says, but this seemed to be worth sharing :)
Posted on 10/08/09, 09:01 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/09/09  10:55pm
" I've read that kimchee actually has similar benefits. It too is cabbage--oddly enough. Maybe it has something to do with the pickling process that the cabbage goes through. I find that when I eat kimchee my stomach feels cleansed afterwards. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/04/10  7:52pm
" Yes! One of our holiday traditions includes pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day! And you know....I had forgotten about the benefits - but enjoyed the meal and I gotta tell you, the tummy does feel better!

It doesn't cause the bloating and gas that I fear with some cabbage products....it's surpringly soothing.

Happy New Year! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/07/10  3:54pm
" I have heard of this too tho I think it may help the good bacteria in the GI that protect the gut mucosa. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/08/10  7:27am
" oh yippee, something i can eat ty ty for the info :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/18/10  8:18pm
" I personally get very sick on any kind of cabbage no matter how it is fixed. I have IBS-D and cabbage/brussel sprouts cause a lot of gas, I can't digest and get horrible pain and diarrhia from it. Worse than anything I eat.

I too have heard some things on the Dr Oz show that people should realize may work for some but not all. Always worth a try and if it doesn't work, nothing lost. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web