Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Peppermint..
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
tea. Does it help or makes things worse?
Posted on 03/09/08, 09:22 pm
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/09/08  10:44pm
" i drink hot peppermint tea..it feels really good going down..there is also a mix of different teas in 1 tea bag for digestion..it feels good too..the warm drinks feel better than the cold ones.....i hope you feel better.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/09/08  11:16pm
" I sometimes use enteric coated peppermint caps. I use peppermint in my stomach because it is a muscle relaxer and with my GERD, that opens up a hearburn situation. The enteric stuff is OK for low gas. Most effective if stomach is empty. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/10/08  1:51pm
" so should i drink it only on a empty stomach?
my sister told me to boil ginger and drink it she says it helps alot. But i know ginger is gross ugghhh "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/10/08  2:56pm
" Hot spices in tea such as ginger or cinnamon should be used only for people with IBS-D. IBS-C sufferers should choose teas with calming influences. My guess would be chamomile or peppermint.

Drinking hot spices encourages the body to eliminate some moisture from the stool. If you're already constipated, this will make it worse.

Calming teas will likely reduce the peristaltic motion of the muscles in the gut and reduce some discomfort.

People with constipation should drink their tea warm, but not hot. The extra heat acts the same as hot spice. People with IBS-D should drink tea as hot as they can stand it, and never drink cold drinks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/10/08  2:59pm
" So basically I can't drink anything cold? Or else my IBS-c will act up? I really hate this i feel there is nothing that is available for me to eat. I might as well starve :( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/10/08  3:21pm
" I think you've got it backwards, Teardrop. If you have IBS-C you should avoid hot drinks and instead choose cooler ones. Lemonaide should work. You could have warm lemon, but I'd avoid hot lemon tea. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/10/08  5:01pm
" I ordered fennel off of the ibs website and it works very good for gas! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/10/08  8:31pm
" My mom is doing some selling of natural stuff - I forgot the name of it - but I asked her to look up everything she has for IBS. She called me today and said she has a whole printout...I'll share it with you when I get it. I'm not one for stuff like that...well, I wasn't, but now I'm starting to admit that it could help. I feel where you're coming from teardrop - I was looking through my cupboard this morning to try to pick something for lunch at work and left with nothing. It seems like there's nothing here I can eat without making myself sick. I know that there are plenty of foods I can have that won't harm my belly - I just don't have them here! I'm going to have to get some of that fennel stuff though... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/11/08  8:32am
" Aything with Lemon makes me nauseas. I haven't had anything with lemon in years. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/11/08  11:44pm
" Well if you can't have lemon you probably cant have any kind of citrus. That is me right out. also I have IBS-C and I need to drink hot to warm tea. I can't stand cold drinks, my stomach freezes up. Oh, and by the way, that problem with citrus also look into food products that contain vitamin C. I have to take an allergy C tablet that isn't from citrus. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web