Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
mucous in the stool
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I don't want to gross anybody out, but does anybody have problems with excess mucous in the stool after not going for several days? If so, what causes this. I've already been on the internet and really can't find a concrete answer other than "it can be ibs," which I already know!
Posted on 03/01/13, 10:23 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/02/13  5:27am
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/02/13  10:33am
" Thanks Rozia, This was very informative; however, I'm not sure why. I eat well, (healthy and enough fiber) drink water, exercise, all autoimmune disorders have been ruled out---I guess thats the frustration with IBS, huh? :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/05/13  12:28am
" Have you had antibiotics recently? You might consider c. diff. as the culprit. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/05/13  8:07am
" Thanks HoratioKay, I was not familiar with this and had never heard of it--interesting....I never have diarreah. Constipation is usually my problem. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/06/13  7:53am
" Hello i have had IBS for years, and ive seen it on my stool many many times, and was told by fhe doctor it was IBS. I am going to find out what it actually comes from now that you mentioned it. But i think it may come from when the bowels or colon go into spasms, im surely going to find out. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/08/13  2:44pm
" Hi my GI doc told me the mucuous is the excess oil and the constipation your body is trying to pass. She suggested olive oil on foods. any more info let me know punn intended this too shall pass. take care. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/08/13  9:25pm
" Thanks Gisele and Baybee, I had not heard about either of those. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/09/13  10:04pm
" I think I have an answer for you. Unfortunately I have suffered with this condition for over 25 years. I dont want anyone to feel there is no hope. There is. Mine began as diarrea, now constipation.

The mucus is most likely tissue from the inside of the intestines that for lack of better words, peels off due to the chronic strain of IBS. Especially if you alternate back and forth with diarrea and constipation. I have seen many doctors in so many years of this, and that is what I have always been told. If you have an excess of mucus you mite what to ask your doctor about it. But generally, its not something that you should be too concerned about. I know that when I first saw this, I was afraid, but nothing I have even been told sounds as though there is any major concern. Good luck. Nana "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/09/13  10:09pm
" I just read the comment about olive oil. I dont want to argue with any doctor, but in all the years I had the mucus problem, I had no clue what olive oil was. My palate was not yet refined.

As I said, I saw many doctors, many. The only thing that was very helpful was to never drink tap water, to always drink bottled water, as the microscopic things in reg water could def trigger the attacks, When I said dont be discouraged, its because as I have aged, the problem is not as chronic as it was when I was younger. It doesnt go away for good but it does calm down a bit. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/15/13  9:50am
" I has tons of mucous comming out when I had my C Difficile/ Ulcerative Colitis.
The mucous is what your intestines produce to protect your lining. Its a good thing that your intestines are producing it but its bad because of why.
Many ailments of the intestines can cause excess mucous.
Mine was Cdifficile which also caused my ulcerative Colitis. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web