Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Aloe Vera capsules help IC...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Just sharing some info on another option besides Elmiron that might interest you.

After recently being diagnosed with IC, after having IC for over 30 yrs now, I opted out of taking Elmiron to instead take aloe vera capsules (2 tabs 3x/day) for my IC problem. They have been helping, without the side effects of Elmiron. My doc was amazed at how much my bladder lining had improved since being on the aloe vera for only 6 weeks. My doc said for me not to take the Elmiron since the aloe vera capsules were doing an even better job and quicker than the Elmiron would have done. She's going to recommend it to her other IC patients as another option. The aloe vera works just like the elmiron in that it repairs the lining and protects it from irritation, just minus the side effects. There are 2 companies who makes these capsules specifically for IC patients, but the one I use because even the actual capsule doesn't irritate the bladder is the company called "Healthy Life Harvest". The capsules are called "aloe vera whole leaf capsules".

Just thought I'd share this info since I'd read where some of you are having trouble with the Elmiron side effects. If anyone else has tried other successful options beside prescription meds for IC, please share!
Posted on 10/30/08, 06:38 pm
31 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Interstitial Cystitis (IC). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/30/08  12:13am
" Thanks for the post. I just ordered some of these a few days ago. I'm really hoping they work for me. I'm glad to see a testimonal that's not on the companies webpage. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/30/08  4:40pm
" Question LHG - Since you started taking these capsules, have you noticed a difference in the pain/flare ups? Less pain? Really curious!
Thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/03/09  12:27am
" Ruth511...here is my update since I posted 2 months ago after being on the aloe product for only 7 weeks...

With IC, I battled chronic pain, urgency, & the inability to empty my bladder completely (urinary retention). I mentioned earlier that after 6 weeks on this product, I noticed a big improvement. Well...after 3 months I felt pretty darn close to normal. The chronic pain I had 24/7 is gone. Yippee! The number of times I "go" during the day seems to be normal now for someone my age which has been a huge improvement, and the most I have to "go" during the night is twice, but usually only once. Again, yippee! And, the retention problem I had is no more. Double Yippee! I'm glad, too, because I was about to have to learn how to use a catheter. Yikes!

The actual name of the product I buy off the website www.healthylifeharvest.com is called
"I.C. Aloe Vera" capsules. The company has now increased it dosage to 700mg. I'm still using the old dosage of 600mg. For the first 3 months, I took 2 capsules 3 times a day. At month 4 I cut back to 2 capsules 2 times a day. In a month I plan on taking only what the bottle directions recommend which is 1 capsule 3 times a day. Along with taking the aloe capsules, I followed the IC diet strictly for 3 months before putting foods/drinks back into my diet. Amazingly I'm able to eat & drink pretty much anything I want...even coffee & chocolate! I do take 2 Prelief tablets with my coffee to neutralize the acid...just in case.

As for flares ups...I have them only around my period, which is basically the urgency problem, but it is way much better than it used to be. And the only time I get even the slightest bit of pain is when I've had lots to drink and have been sitting for a couple of hours holding it because I couldn't get to the restroom. It used to be that as soon as any urine (the tiniest little bit) hit my bladder, I had severe pain and had to relieve myself.

Everyone is different, and this treatment may not work for you but I wanted you to know about this option. And...I had the worse case of IC my doc had seen in her 25 yrs of practice so I was very happy this product worked for me! If you try this product, I hope & pray it works for you as well as it did for me~*

NYbabygirl...funny you mentioned the company's testimonies. Supposedly my testimony is going to be posted on their website some time this month. I hope the aloe works for you!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/03/09  12:03pm
" One point I need to make clear is...that if you try the aloe vera leaf capsules, then you must purchase only the ones from the site I mentioned above. The ones you find in health food stores put ingredients in with the aloe that bother your bladder lining, therefore contradicting what the aloe is supposed to be doing. The only aloe product on the market that has only aloe vera leaf (no gel or liquid or any added bothersome ingredients) in its capsules and is designed specifically for IC is the product from the online Healthy Life Harvest store. Lots of ICers make the mistake of thinking any aloe product (capsule, liquid, or gel) will work but that isn't the case.

And of course stick to the IC diet while you are trying to repair your bladder lining or it will take longer for the aloe vera leaf capsules to repair your lining. Slowly put foods & drinks back into your diet one at a time, no sooner than 3 months on the diet. Then whatever bothers your bladder at that point...avoid it big time! To me there is no food or beverage worth the pain.

Best of luck to all of you trying to get your IC under control regardless what method or products you are using~* "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/03/09  9:12pm
" I'm really happy to hear your update. My order came yesterday and I hope I have the same results you have. I especially hope it helps my retention problem, so I was so happy to hear it worked for yours. I am on the verge of self cathing as well, this is my last resort, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for the helpful info! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/04/09  11:55am
" nybabygirl...I'm crossing my fingers it works for you, too! I had great results with it, still am, so it would be great if it helps someone else. There are absolutely no side effects and you can take it on a full or empty stomach. I would double the dosage at first...instead of 1 cap 3x, do 2 caps 3x for the first 3 months. Then cut it back based on how you are doing. XXing my everythings for ya~* "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/07/09  3:28pm
" I am willing to just about try anything. Could you send me the address or if they have a web site. I am tired. When I eas diganoised with this, I was told thathe saw more younger people that older one suffering with this. So I had it in my mind that as I got older that this would start to dissapear, so it has been almost nine years,but just my luck it seems to be getting worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/07/09  3:45pm
" Cookie53, I have the website posted in one of my replies above, but I also sent you a PM with that info. Hope you get some relief from your IC soon~* "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/08/09  12:27pm
" WOW... Glad to hear the Aloe Vera Capsules are working for you!!! I was taking Aloe Vera concentrate Pills plus buying Pure Aloe Vera Juice for over 1 year with no improvement in my IC. It was like torture trying to drink the Aloe Juice and I could barley get the stuff down without throwing up! Want to give up taking the Elmiron after taking this medication for almost 2 years now with no results. UGHHH.. That is so cool the Aloe is working for you!! Good Luck :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/08/09  7:38pm
" Shaundog...yah, the aloe vera juice doesn't work and the only aloe vera leaf capsules that seem to work for IC that has no added irritating ingredients or capsules is the product I've mentioned in my posts. I'm sorry you haven't had any luck with helping your IC. That stinks! If you try this company's aloe capsules, you have to make sure you are not putting other irritating products like the aloe juice or any foods or drinks in your system because it cancels out the benefits of the aloe capsules I've mentioned. Other ICers have also tried other aloe products with no luck either, while some ICers have had great results with the Healthy Harvest product. But like I've said before, everyone is different and what works for one may not work for others. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web