Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Probiotics
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I think maybe there was a discussion on this earlier, but I don't remember. Anyway, what do you all think about using probiotics? I have heard they do wonders for your body's plumbing. I thought about asking my neonatologist this next week at our apt and seeing what he says on the subject. Let me know what you all think, K.
Posted on 11/17/10, 08:30 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Interstitial Cystitis (IC). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/18/10  7:45pm
" Hi jrdoodles, I have used them for a few years now. They work great for me. Just have to find the kind that survive stomach acid so they go into the intestines. In addition I take an enteric coated pancreatic enzyme as well. At first you have to see what dose works. Some people need to take smaller doses because it causes diarrhea. Then work their way up. They experience what is called "herxheimer effect". A fancy word for feeling fluish with diarrhea. This is from the die-off effect of the bad bacteria. Anyway, Jarro-Dophillus is a good brand. They sell one you have to refrigerate and one you don't. Anyways, sorry so long. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/25/10  3:47pm
" I've taken them for long periods of time here and there, but I never noticed any effects on my bladder. But then again, I don't have GI problems. Worth a try, though. I am starting to think that everyone's IC problem has a different cause, or combination of causes. My problem I think is hyperacidity, I get relief from things that neutralize acid, like Prelief, and staying away from things like wine, vinegar, etc. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/26/10  7:12pm
" Probiotics won't really have any effect on bladder health. They are taken to support the good bacteria in your gut. Anytime you use antibiotics, you kill the bacteria, both good and bad, and your body HAS to have that good bacteria to maintain a healthy balance. You cannot get enough from yogurt alone. Most probiotic pearls have to be kept refrigerated however I have found a brand that is stable without refrigeration.

In summary, priobiotics are essential despite your health issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/13/10  8:18pm
" There are so many on the market it's hard to weed through them all to find the one that is right for you, especially when they are so expensive. Probiotics will not help specifically with IC or any other condition but are for overall health. I used to take Primal Defense but it bothered my stomach so for a while I didn't take anything. I recently started Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus morning and night. It doesn't bother my stomach and it can be taken with other medications. My friends and family are slowing converting each other to this Probiotic I am glad I finally gave in and tried it! It's expensive but worth it, the best deal we have found is on My Natural Market. I would do the smaller pack of 60 first to be sure they work for you. Let me know if you do try them and how they work! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/17/10  5:24pm
" I was on Probiotics for 2 weeks. Big mistake! I developed severe pain in my lower groin like a period coming. Iread that some people have this side effect. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web