Baking soda to ease flare-up?
I have heard drinking a mixture of baking soda and water will ease the pain of an ic flare up...is this true? Does anyone have the recipe (if it is true)? If this is not true, are there any suggestions that will give me some relief?
Thanks so much~
Posted on 02/21/09, 09:55 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Interstitial Cystitis (IC). We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 02/22/09  1:36am
" It is true. A teaspoon in water does the trick. But Baking Soda is not very good for you all of the time. I would suggest taking Prelief a supplement that takes the acid out of food. It basically does the same thing. But every now and then if I am in a bad flare I do the baking soda. "
Reply #2 - 02/22/09  10:43am
" I tried 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 1 cup water a couple nights ago. I had to gag it down but it did take the edge off. Good luck to you. "
Reply #3 - 02/22/09  1:12pm
" Yes it taste's terrible I hold my nose when I drink it. Lol "
Reply #4 - 02/22/09  3:18pm
" Do you think I could take it ? I am having bladder rinses

and they have started to work on me...less pain and freqeuncy to go to loo...but and I don't know why I am having a flare out of the blue right now....1st in 2 weeks since rinses started

do you think baking soda would do harm to the layer that is building up in my bladder ???

mind you if it is anti acid I guess it won't hurt....

desperate here "
Reply #5 - 02/23/09  5:07pm
" Baking soda doesnt do a thing for me, neither does the prelief. I just try to stick to the diet, but when I do get a flare I have a pain med that does help LauraK "
Reply #6 - 02/23/09  11:05pm
" A teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of water will help you. I repeat it every couple hours until I get relief. Have been doing this for 30 years as soon as I have a flare which is not often these days. "
Reply #7 - 02/24/09  12:51pm
" helps me a lot...

it tastes gross but it's worth it...

I've tried pre-lief also but it seems for me... that the baking soda works better... I'm not sure why "
Reply #8 - 02/24/09  11:49pm
" Yes it does help. My Uro told me to get Sodium Bicarbonate tablets as they are the same thing but MUCH more pleasant than gagging down the baking soda in water. You can get them at the pharmacy (they are behind the pharmacy counter, but you do not need a prescription) My uro suggested taking two tablets at bedtime (along with an aloe vera tablet) and I have found it to be helpful. She did suggest only taking the sodium bicarbonate at bedtime though as it can interfere with digestion. "
Reply #9 - 02/25/09  9:22pm
" I am going to give it a try. "
Reply #10 - 02/27/09  7:55pm
" SADLY IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME ;(

I SENT MY FAMILY ON A WORLD SEARCH LOL..THEY FOUND IT, I TOOK IT...WAITED NOTHING

BUT I DO WISH THE REST OF YOU WELL

TAKE CARE U DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH.MY DR SAID IT IS REAL BAD FOR YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND