Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
looking for church accepting interfaith marriage
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I am Christian woman and have been married to a Muslim man for 2 years. I have not attended church in over 10 years and would like to go back. Does anyone have suggestions on finding a church that would be accepting of the fact that my husband is Muslim?

I have attended one church several times and I like it, but I'm nervous about how people will react when they find out my husband is Muslim. I don't want them trying to convince me to convert him or something like that. I thought about meeting with the pastor to discuss this, but I don't know what to say or what to ask to gauge the "climate" of the congregation.

So I guess I'm also looking for suggestions on what to ask the pastor to see if the chruch will welcome me or shun me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Posted on 10/13/11, 06:48 pm
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Interfaith Relationships. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/14/11  12:15am
" It really isn't anyone's business who you are married to. Would he be going with you? If not, then why even make it an issue. I am Catholic and my husband is an Athiest. It isn't anyone's business. My kids are baptized in the church and he was ok with that. He comes with me at Christmas and no one knows or really cares. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/21/11  9:26pm
" Honestly, I will agree with hotmom that it isn't any of their business. However, people will still be people. And you are looking for somewhere comfortable for the both of you. The first thing I would suggest looking for is the preacher's reaction. He should be accepting but that doesn't necessarily mean that he will be. I would say that if he is accepting of this, especially without wanting to push religion or question your husband's faith, then those attending his sermons should follow suit. As the saying goes, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. People will generally seek out guidance and leadership from those who are like-minded. If someone in the congregation has a problem with it though, talk to them about it. If that doesn't clear it up, then speak with the preacher. If it's still not cleared up, then avoid that person as much as possible. You and your husband are fine just the way that you are and do not need anybody trying to bring either of you down because of their own shortcomings. All in all though, do what you feel is right for you. :) I wish you all the best. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/19/12  10:03am
" I am not sure where you are from but in my church, we accept every one. God is all about love and mercy. IF he says Come as you are, how are we to go against that? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/22/12  10:54pm
" Depending on what part of America you live in I think most churches would be accepting of you attending. They want to save as many people as they can and yes they may also try to save him too. But they also realize that God hates divorce and so if you can continue to live a Godly life even while being married to a Muslim man, God would prefer that over divorce. Divorce destroys lives and God hates divorce. There is not harm having a conversation with a pastor about it. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web