Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Weaning off sleeping pills/Ambien
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Here is a basic layout for weaning off sleeping pills like Ambien and others. Many of us spend too much time worrying about the day when we have to have to stop taking the meds....or if we ever will be able to stop. I think having a plan will give your brain a chance to stop worrying about it and will provide some level of comfort knowing it can be done. Now, I personally have not done this myself (as my dr has me taking the medications for a few months) but I feel very strongly that will be the path he sends me down.

You need to evaluate how many nights you use the sleeping pills. For the sake of this example, I am just going to assume you take them every night (like me). Now, you need to pick two nights (separatred apart) to reduce medication on. For example, Tues and Fri. Try to pick nights when you're obligations are not so great the next day.On those two nights take a half dose of what you normally take. I take Ambien CR so when I'm ready to do this I'll need a new Rx for the Ambien CR 6mg (half)dose. Once you feel this is working well....might take a week or two, you'll add two more nights of half doses or just go to every other night. Once this is going well, add the other off days so that you're taking a half dose all week long. Once that is going well, pick two nights when you don't take the med at all....it follows the SAME plan you cut down to 1/2 on....only now you're having no med nights.

I hope that makes sense....and gives some of you out there hope that you can try to get off the sleeping pills when you're ready!

Blessings and rest!
~Brook
Posted on 04/04/09, 02:06 pm
2 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Insomnia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/11/09  2:19am
" Every 3 weeks i stop taking sleeping tablets and try to sleep withoout them.
I cut myself down the week before.
I dont think about sleeping during the day and think if i get sleep thats a bouns.
During that week without the sleeping pills, i manage to get one good night sleep and the rest i am wide awake but after that week the tablets seem to work better. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/18/10  8:06am
" This is very helpful. I'm going to try it starting tonight. Thanks, Brook!! :) "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web