Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Ambien stopped working
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone been on ambien for a long period of time and it just stopped working? What did you do to help or did you find any resolve at all?
Posted on 04/20/08, 06:30 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Insomnia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/24/08  4:22am
" ya, I think it tends to do that. I had to switch to herbal remedies. 1,600 mg of valerian 2 hrs before bed. mom takes it with some kava kava to help tranquilize her. the valerian is not addictive and has no side effects and is not harmful to use over a long period of time. I hope this helps and good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/29/08  12:56am
" I was on Ambien for a while then they switched me to the Ambien CR, which I felt no difference in. My neuro said it does tend to not work after a while.
I have been on every med out there for sleep that I know of...Lunesta,ambien,restoril, along with other meds and have not found one that helps. So I just stopped taking them. Why if it isn't helpingg. Wish I had more help to offer. Hope you come up with something that helps..what does or doesn't work for one may work for another.

All the best for restful nights!
Take care,
Michelle "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/29/08  1:52am
" yeah that happens to me sometimes so i won't take it for a week and i know it sucks cause then your awake for a week and then i start taking it again and i also take one ambien with two tylnoe pm not that i am tell you to do this but thats what i do and it works for me but only you know how your body will react to this so ask your doctor before you try it good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/29/08  4:44am
" I tried ambien and it never worked for me.. but meds differ a lot person to person and I've heard they can stop working like that, usually the doc. will up or dose or switch you to something else. I haven't found any meds that work for me, so i stick with tea and a bath, reading, then listening to a meditation tape until i fall asleep. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/29/08  4:45am
" ****up the dose :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/30/08  2:33pm
" Hi there! I was on ambien for 4 years. I started out at 10mg a night but after about 9 months I had to move up to 20mg a night. You should stay asleep at 20mg a night but most doctors will not perscribe that high a dose unless your insomnia is really really bad. It is also a really addicting drug and has some very bad side effects. The worst is short term memory loss. I would not stay on this drug long term. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/04/08  2:50am
" Almost anything you try is going to stop working after a while. Try natural remedies instead. They don't have instant effect but they help in the long run. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/10/08  1:24pm
" Hi everyone. Whatever you do, please try to avoid taking Ambien. It is dangerous. I an only NOW trying not to take it after being on it after the 9/11 attacks in NYC where I live. I quickly found myself having to take it during the day. I would finish a bottle of 30 pills in a week and a 1/2. I found myself taking pills from my mom and from trying to cope with things gone wrong in my life. So far, I hve done without them for 2 weeks. There are days when I feel crappy and good. I would like anyone in this forum who would like to help me, to share their stories and to assist me in keeping up my goal of not taking anymore tablets. I am currenty in psychterapy and on depression medication. Thanks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/10/08  7:10pm
" i'v not even taken any tablets 4 it!!! i feel left out man!!!!! drug me up, doc!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/10/08  7:56pm
" To the last reply, this is NOT a drug that you want to take long term at all. I am now paying the consequences by trying to adjust my sleep patterns without the Ambien and to deal with my anxiety during the say, without this medication. It is highly addictive and turns out to be more of a nightmare than a miracle. While on the drug, my work suffered, I had memory lapses, I did and said strange things and had no recollection of them, I once almost drove while taking Ambien. If you have to take it, please do so and get into bed immediately. Also, have someone you trust keep your meds and have them only give you one, b/c while on it, I forgot I took one and would take like up to 5 pills. Kicking the habit is good in the longrun, but it has taken me a good fight to do so. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web