Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Bible verses vs adultery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My husband and I area having a disagreement. My husband says there is no where in the bible that says anything about a betrayed can leave the betrayer (divorce). He says there are places in the bible that say, adultery is bad, but not a reason for divorce. I disagree. Can you help me with this?
Posted on 05/26/08, 11:15 am
26 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Infidelity. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/26/08  11:58am
" In most books of the bible, your husband will be proven correct. The Old Testament has very rigid views of adultery and marriage. Leviticus states that the adulterer shall be put to death. But in the New Testament, there is more written on forgiveness. Ex: read 2 Corinthians 2; 5-11. Back to your question. You may find some of your answers in Mathew. Check out chapter 5: 31-33. It can also be interpreted through the bible that adultery breaks the covenant of the marriage. Once the covenant is broken, does it exist. I hope this helps you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/26/08  12:21pm
" Wow, did he open a can of worms!

Jesus teaches about divorce:
Matthew 5:32 (NIV)
But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife,"except for martial unfaithfulness", causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced women commits adultery.

...Jesus said that divorce is not permissible except for unfaithfulness. This does not mean divorce SHOULD automatically occur. The word translated "unfaithfulness" implies a sexually immoral life-style, not a confessed and repented act of audultery. Those who discover their partner has been unfaithful should make every effort to forgive, reconcile, and restore their relationship. We are always to look for reasons to restore the marriage relationship rather than for excuses to leave it.

I believe this is the scripture verse people use when
the unfaithful spouse does not repent or change. Than they divorce. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/26/08  3:16pm
" I was thinking of Matthew, too. Chapter 19 is when the Pharisees approached Jesus and asked him "Is it against the law for a man to divorce his wife on any pretext whatever?" Jesus knew they were testing him about the Laws handed down from Moses, which allowed for divorce if a man gave his wife a "writ of dismissal." However, Jesus says "It was because you were so unteachable that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but it was not like this from the beginning. Now I say this to you: the man who divorces his wife, except in the case of adultery, and marries another, is guilty of adultery."

My interpretation of that is similar to Special3. He is not commanding us to divorce in the case of adultery, but saying it is a reason that we would be allowed to divorce without feeling we are in violation of His teachings. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/26/08  3:21pm
" Reply #2 is correct. I suppose that your husband is only sure of 9 commandments as well. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/27/08  1:57am
" I hope this is a purely intellectual disagreement and you're not making important life decisions (like staying with a jerk husband) based on what Leviticus and Matthew say about things. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/27/08  2:05am
" BTW, your husband is the winner of this disagreement based on all the quoted verses (assuming this disagreement revolves around whether or not you'd be justified in divorcing him for his adultery). The Bible allows men to divorce women for adultery but not the other way around. I hope your husband isn't using the built-in sexism that exists in Bible in order to scare you into staying with him. If that's not a sin, it should be. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/27/08  2:19am
" I think what is the hardest part is that a divorced woman, justified or not can not remarry or be w/ another man w/o committing adultery. Based upon the quote. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/27/08  1:07pm
" I don't think of it that way, Pixie, because I think of all the examples of Jesus being a radical champion of woman's rights. Remember him stopping the crowd from stoning the "adultress" and His compassion for the woman at the well who came alone when all the other women left because she'd been married 3 times. The gospels were written by men in a sexist time, therefore the language is written to address men. However, I truly believe Jesus meant his message for all, because he said so many times, and just because the gospel writers were myopically sexist, I don't believe Jesus was. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/27/08  3:33pm
" There is a story in the Bible, can't thinkof where. It shows how a woman betrayed her man and because of such was sold into slavery. When she went to auction the person who bought her was her husband. I hope someone can quote where this story comes from. It is about forgiveness.

To forgive is divine.

I am not divine, I wish I understood how I could be. It took me 30 years to forgive my father. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/27/08  3:37pm
" Hi Daisy,
May I suggest a marriage counseler ? Don't put too much stock in the Bible. You can find sections and quotes to support or refute just about any opinion you like. It's just loaded with contradictions. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web