Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
HCG shot
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I had to do my HCG shot @ home last night b/c of a last minute decision... The nurse had me do it Sub Q but last cycle I did IM. What is the difference? And does the HCG guarentee ovulation? Can you tell if you use an ovulation test w/ it?
Posted on 05/18/10, 11:02 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Infertility. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/18/10  11:40am
" I am not sure about the difference, but I have the hcg shot (Pregnyl). It does cause ovulation. But, using an opk with it is not a good idea, b/c the horomone in the shot will make it pop up positive for a long time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/18/10  4:12pm
" Yes the HCG will cause you to ovulate. I asked the nurse that same question one time and she told me that your body cannot deny that much HCG and it will ovulate whatever's in there. That doesn't mean that it guarentees you will ovulate mature follicles. That would have to be checked with an ultrasound but I'm sure your RE did that before telling you to trigger. I have done the shot IM and sub-q. Sub-q is SO much better, but I don't know why they would choose one method over the other. I don't think it matters for ovulation reasons. Lastly, if you did the trigger shot it is pointless to to an OPK. You will ovulate 24-48 hours after the shot but most likely you will ovulate 36 hours after. They just say 24-48 as a range. My RE would have me do OPK's leading up to the HCG shot just to make sure my body didn't ovulate on it's own without us knowing. Good luck, I hope this gives you the info you were looking for. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/18/10  7:04pm
" I just got the embryo transfer of my third IVF (yey!!)
and each cycle we've used ovidrel, (HCG) shot sub Q as the trigger shot....to ovulate
in IVF the eggs need to be released from the follicles for retrival, and if they didn't do retrival then we'd ovulate with the trigger shot...
...so it's time sensitive for egg retrival.

It worked just fine for us each time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/18/10  7:07pm
" Maturity of eggs depends on the LH level at the begining of the cycle, estradoil at the stimulation (follicle growing part) of the cycle, and size of the follicles.

They wouldn't trigger you if the eggs were not in that zone of being mature.

"It's going to work, it's going to work" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/18/10  7:09pm
" Ovulataion will begin 35.5-36hours after sub-q shot.
so, they say.

Luck is yours... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/19/10  7:23pm
" The docs at Laurel Fertility Care are here to help answer this question. The HCG shot administered Sub Q is just as effective as IM. You didn't do anything wrong. The HCG shot guarantees ovulation. The best way to tell at home if your HCG shot worked is to do a pregnancy test. The urine pregnancy test detects HCG in the urine so if you took your HCG shot and your body absorbed it, your urine pregnancy test will show up positive. That's the quickest way to know for sure. A ovulation test would also work but not until 36 hours after the HCG shot. You can ask questions like this by going to our facebook group or page. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web