How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Just got my medical records from the old RE ...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
From a RE I was seeing 2 yrs ago (I've had 4 mc, all natural and between 4-6wks)... I needed them to bring to my new OB/GYN ( they also specialize in Fertility) the Dr wanted to see my records and also send me for any additional testings they may have missed. And I'm trying NOT to freak out but-- I'm reading everything and it's says:

Methylene Tetrahydrofolate Reductuse (MTHFR)
Result: Positive
Heterozygote for the 677C>T mutation for the MTHFR gene
Comment: This individual has one copy of the 677C>T mutation in the MTHFR gene.

WTF????? Are you serious?? Why did they tell me everything came back "NORMAL"??? If I tested "positive" shouldn't I as a PATIENT be informed of this?? Regardless if it's something "common" or not caused for alarm?? I'm sorry but that's my RIGHT as a patient??!!! I started to do some research and read Dr put them on a vitamin B, baby aspirin ... Anyone else tested positive for this? Please I need your imput and advice-thank you!!
Posted on 02/23/12, 03:57 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Infertility. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/24/12  11:34am
" *bump* "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/24/12  11:43am
" Hey Sweetie,
I am making a copy of your post and taking it for my sister to look at, she is a RN and super smart. She said she will find out what she can for you!! Kisses!

Susan
xo "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/24/12  11:59am
" Thanks Susan!!! I've read a lot of debate online- some doctors don't feel there's any link to miscarriages. So there for they don't feel it's necessary to "mention" the positive result. But if I test positive, I should be informed of that as a patient- regardless. And then from there the doctor can give me his opinion on it!! Ugh I'm just annoyed!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/24/12  12:20pm
" I totally understand!!! Your dr DEFINITELY should tell you. I feel the same way, like one cycle she told me my lining was ok, and then found out it was too thin...I think they try not alarm us, but I would feel MUCH better if they told me everything...makes it hard to trust what they say. Glad you're seeing a new dr and good luck! You're a very strong woman to go through what you have! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/25/12  10:45am
" Oh my!! I have done tons of reading and I see lots of positive results of women who test positive for this and with the help of baby aspirin and heparin carry to full term!!! At least you may have an answer now and maybe you can have your rainbow baby soon!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/25/12  4:21pm
" I'm sorry Maria. That really stinks. I have actually read that exact story many times while reading message boards. I have decided that I will never have any sort of testing or labwork done again without getting the results in writing.

I am so sorry for your losses. The heterozygous form of the MTHFR polymorphism is the least severe form but you still have a limited ability to break down synthetic folic acid (the type found in enriched foods and most eupplements). This puts you at risk for folate deficiency related pregnancy complications. I work with NeevoDHA, a prenatal specifically indicated for women with MTHFR. It contains active L-methylfolate as an alternative to synthetic folic acid. L-methylfolate bypasses the MTHFR mutation and is directly available for DNA synthesis and repair. It is something very simple and safe you can do to be sure MTHFR related folate deficiency is not an issue while trying to conceive and during pregnancy.

You story really stinks but know that there are a lot of women who have been in your shoes and when they get on the right supplements, they are able to have happy, healthy pregnancies. I will keep you in prayers. Best of luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/25/12  9:08pm
" Oh my god - I would be SOOOOO pissed. I completely agree with you. You should have been informed of the results even if they didn't think it was an issue. Especially after four miscarriages, even though it may not have played a role, now you're always going to wonder. What a crappy thing to do to someone. I sure hope your new doctor is more open with you. If not... I say find another one still! I have had three miscarriages, all natural and between 4-6 weeks and I know what that information would do to me. Good luck and I sure hope your time is coming! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/27/12  12:49pm
" I have one copy of MTHFR and when I get pregnant I have to be on baby aspirin and extra folic acid. Before I found this out I had 2 miscarriages, after I have had 2 successful pregnancies.

It is very wrong your old doctor didn't tell you this. So sorry you had to find out that way. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web