Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Harvesting Eggs Post-Hyst
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I had a TAH/LSO at 29 (now 31), so I still have my right ovary, although it has a cyst on it. Through a series of trial and error HRT, I finally found a combination that works for me, so my ovary is functioning at the moment. I read somewhere that approx 70% of women who keep one or both of their ovaries experience ovarian failure within 5 years of a hyst. If this is true, I don't have much time!! I know that I want to have children and am researching the process of having my eggs harvested. Has anyone had this done? How did it affect you? What can I expect? I realize that others may encounter a variety of different results, but any feedback is welcome.
Posted on 02/05/12, 03:37 pm
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hysterectomy. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/05/12  4:05pm
" My Mom, 3 sisters and quite a few friends must have been the lucky one's in the 30 percent... lol... they didn't harvest their eggs though.. so if they did have ovarian failure it didn't happen with any symptoms.

I don't know where you read that either.. but I'm sure it's not true.

I would excpect you would want to hurry with the procedure based on your age alone. Isn't it great to be living in the age of such medical advances?! a Generation ago a woman who had a hysterectomy had no chance of creating her own biological child. Now there is hope! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/05/12  4:24pm
" Brightside53 - Thanks for the response. I would definitely prefer to be wrong about the ovarian failure statistics. My OB/Gyn suggests having the procedure before age 35. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/07/12  7:35pm
" kharden, you are right, this is true. Good news is you are still within even the shortest suspected window other than immediate failure. Your doctor can run blood work and determine if you are still ovulating and track a cycle until you are ready to begin harvesting. Good luck to you!

UK GYN : "Ovaries can keep working for some time after a hysterectomy although the precise time is difficult to be sure of. Although consultant gynaecologists would normally advise that normal ovarian function ceases either almost immediately or within the first year after surgery, some women do experience cyclical mood swings and other premenstrual symptoms for much longer than this. "

POST- HYSTERECTOMY OVARIAN ACTIVITY: The incidence of retention of ovarian cyclicity after hysterectomy remains somewhat unclear. The majority of posthysterectomy patients under age 48 continue to show an ovarian cycle, according to any of several criteria: bioassay of weekly urine samples, cyclic records of premenstrual tension phenomenon, plasma hormone evaluation, and studies of vaginal smears. However, the phenomenon appears to be less than universal. Ranny and Abu-Ghazaleh evaluated the future function and control of ovarian tissue that is retained in vivo during hysterectomy and concluded that approximately 50% of their large sample continued to show clinical signs of ovarian hormone production (i.e. vaginal tissue maintenance) but the other 50% did not. This was the only study of those just described that sampled very large groups of women; and these results, therefore, suggest that some women stop showing ovarian cyclicity shortly after hysterectomy.

The nature of influence of an intact uterus on ovarian function is currently unresolved; but with recent discovery of uterine secretions of large quantities of prostaglandins, there is reason to study the issue.Potentially, the reduction in prostaglandin after hysterectomy could be a factor in the loss of ovarian cyclicity. Alternatively, the loss of the putative reflex pathway from cervix to pituitary (as is found in lower mammals)could also be responsible. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web