Voluntary Hysterectomy or not
I am 38 with 3 wonderful young girls. I had my tubes tied in September and while I was pg with #3 my OB and I spoke about hysterectomy and decided to wait until after the baby, etc...

Most of our female relatives (both sides of family) have passed away from either cervical, uterine or ovarian cancer, so my sister and I have decided that that's how we are going to go also. My sis had a hysterectomy last year due to fibroids or something or other and is doing fine, we think they left one ovary for her, but that's another medical nightmare story.

Ever since I can remember, my periods have been VERY heavy and painful. I was told that this would change after my tubal...yeah right, if anything it's gotten worse. Also, when DH and I have intercourse, it hurts--it kind of feels like my insides are falling out. I don't think I have uterine prolapse or anything though. I do have some small fibroids, but the OB said it was nothing to worry about.

Anyhow, getting to my question. Have any of you had a volunatry hysterectomy due to cancer in the family, painful periods, painful intercourse or any other reason? If so, was your ob/gyn supportive of this decision?

I'm just looking for more information at this point, but I think I am set in my decision to proceed with making an appt to discuss this with my ob/gyn.

TIA, Maggie
Posted on 04/19/08, 02:57 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Hysterectomy. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 04/19/08  8:54am
" My doc took mine due to pain, heavy periods, and enlarged uterus. We also took my ovary since I was having lots of cysts. (I lost the other one 10 years ago) "
Reply #2 - 04/21/08  1:54pm
" When in the course of my first pregnancy (2 years ago), I had a hard time. Afterwards, my health streamed downhill and fast. I was diagnosed with IC, had my gall bladder taken out, and began suffering from chronic pelvic pain. 2 years, I went thru this with pain all thru my abdominal and pelvic areas. When my ob/gyn first mentioned a hyster. I thought, never. Finally the pain got so bad Me and my hubby started talking about the surgery. 3 months later, I went in and asked the doc to schedule the surgery. It's been 1 month since, and I can already tell a drastic change in my pain levels, in a great way. the emotions are hard at first to get thru... but with 3 kids and at an older age (not saying you're old, just at a point in your life where you are stable, with children) I think you'd regret NOT having it done. "
Reply #3 - 04/21/08  11:02pm
" I had mine due to a 4 pound fibroma in my utures and a 2 pound one on my right overy that fused itself to my utures the rutured when they went in. I was told that I ould have bleed to death if I would not hve had it done.

My monthy vistor was VERY heavy also with blood clots the size of plums and the pain was terrible. Sex was painfull but not like the cramps. I would get 2nd opion and have it taken care of b4 it is to late "
Reply #4 - 04/24/08  10:38am
" I had a radical hysterectomy 6 years ago. The surgeon took my uterus, ovaries, tubes and cervix. I always and very heavy, painful periods. After my kids were born my periods got worse. I had lots of cysts all over my left ovary. After I woke from surgery, surgeon told me he cleaned house. I now regret having the surgery, not because I want more kids, I have kids, but I think the surgery was not needed at that time, and recently found out the surgeon was suspended, he's no longer in my area. I think at least 1 ovary should be left if possible also. Since my hysterectomy, I've had problems, gained weight, and couple months ago my bladder fell. I went through instant menopause, it was horrible and still is, I still have horrible hot flashes and nothing works for them. I'd think very hard before having a hysterectomy. I regret very, very much having one. "
Reply #5 - 04/24/08  12:22pm
" I had very heavy periods and I have children so I had my tubes tied. My gyno and me discussed options to get rid of my heavy bleeding he said he would like to do a hysterectomy but he doesn't really want to since Im so young. So he suggested having what they call an endometrial ablation done. Where they take the lining of your uterus out and burn it so it doesn't grow back. I had this done on the tenth of this month so Im not real sure how it worked yet. But my gyno was very helpful and supportive of me getting this. Perhaps ask yours about that instead. "
Reply #6 - 04/24/08  1:01pm
" Mine was voluntary. I was only 28 (29 now) with no kids. My periods were ridiculously painful, physically and emotionally, and they were coming every two weeks. I had reoccuring cysts (which one turned out to be a tumor) and didnt know at the time (should've though, first doctor sucked) I had really bad endomitriosis. My doctor didnt argue with me at all and made sure we got our stories straight so he could better argue with my insurance company. And our surprise, they didnt fight it either. And so far I'm still thrilled. "