Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Older kids with hypotonia
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My daughter is 7 and never officially diagnosed with hypotonia but still has difficulty jumping, riding a back etc. Is hypotonia something you grow out of. And what kind of therapy can I use that she doesn't dread doing the excercises for.
Posted on 03/03/08, 10:29 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypotonia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/04/08  1:27am
" You dont really grow out of it but they do learn ways around it. If your daughter is having trouble sitting UP in a chair without slouching or leaning, she needs to work out her tummy and back muscles, she also might need to work out her neck muscles too. It makes it really hard to write and pay attention when all your energy is used for sitting up. My daughter is only 8 months old, so I dont really know what kind of excerises she would enjoy doing, but tickling works out your abs, and so does laughing, we do joint compressions on Emmas feet so that she can stand, You might consider a really big therapy ball for her to sit on, the motion helps build muscles all over and there fun. She can sit on it to read or play a game or watch T.V. There a really good work out. I do know though, that people with Hypotonia get wore out easy so you have to be careful, they dont build muscle the same way we do. It takes them a lot longer to recover from a work out than others. Also, Our PT told us that when someone with Hypotonia does something really well, sits straigh, runns well balances, for a good while, they need to stop and take a break. This helps there brain remember how to do the task correctly. You dont keep at it until you fail or thats what there brain will remember. She also said its like shooting hoops, if you make 5 baskets in a row you should stop so your brain builds that connection, dont push until you do something wrong. And dont exhaust them or they will take forever to recover. Let them set the pase, you just keep the activity options open. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/05/08  9:01am
" They have told me that Julie wont outgrow it but with therapy will get better, the sitting prob is probably due to low core strength which my daughter deals with, she has a bouncy ball we sit her on and bounce her, and we are in the proces of getting more exercies in place,., "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/07/08  8:20am
" my daughter i one i was told the same that they dont outgrow it just learn ways around it, brooke is nearly sitting now but crawling and walking could be a long way down the track "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/14/08  1:59pm
" Does she like to swim? I have found swimming works every thing.

Hypotonia is also in the brain, it takes longer for us to learn blance. Don't worry in time she will, I did. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/27/09  2:01pm
" Isn't the balance issue more so attributed to the weakness of muscles in our cores to keep us steady? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/03/09  8:49am
" Swimming, I have been told as well will help with the muscle strength "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/03/09  10:42pm
" My son is only 11 months, but I have heard that hippatherapy, the therapy done with horses, is very helpful for children with hypotonia. I believe the child needs to be 2 years old before they may begin. You could do google search on hippatherapy in your area. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/28/10  5:00pm
" They do not outgrow hypotonia. My daughter is 34 and still has low muscle tone, fine motor and expressive language issues. Ballet lessons has really helped. Also, don't count on the public schools for speech therapy. They leave a lot to be desired. WE paid for additional therapy. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/09/10  10:55pm
" Crawling is a very good development sign. Many kids with disabilities do not ever crawl. My daughter did not crawl much to the annoyance of her PT. It is important developmentally, though. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/23/10  11:43pm
" I was born with Hypotonia and until now didn't realize it was actually common. I have believed through my whole life (I am 17 now) that I was kind of on my own with this. I found that Hypotonia is not a disease on its own but comes with other problems. For me personally I was born with no tendons in my left ankle or either hand. After seeing doctors in Europe and along the entire East Coast they finally performed four surgeries when I was 13 to transfer tendons. For the first time in my life I can lift my fingers on my own and twist my ankle around--I have never had so many happy tears besides this moment. I have been through Physical/Occupational therapy since birth and especially during the 2-3 years during and after surgery. I know do a mentorship/internship program for Physical therapy and hope to further my career in this field during and after college. I know I am only 17 but for a person who has dealt with and will always struggle with Hypotonia believe me when I say Physical Therapy is a miracle, it is the one way to help with Hypotonia and the younger you start the better. I would take your daughter to a doctor to figure out what exactly is wrong that can be fixed (like tendons for me) and like I said the sooner you start her in a physical therapy program the better she will feel and be at physical activity. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web