How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Hypothyroidism Information

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism.

The severity of hypothyroidism varies widely. Patients are classified as "subclinical hypothyroid" if diagnostic findings show thyroid hormone abnormalities, but they do not exhibit any symptoms. Others have moderate symptoms that can be mistaken for other diseases and states. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

Myxedema coma is a medical emergency. The major imbalances are hypoglycemia, hyponatremia, hypothermia and acute renal failure. The initial management includes warming the patient, monitoring the vitals. Parenteral steroids is the initial drug (injection hydrocortisone 100 mg - 200 mg) given. Levothyroxine 600 micrograms is given through nasogastric tube or parenteral route.

Clinically apparent hypothyroidism usually warrants treatment. In case the hypothyroidism is due to dietary minerals and iodine, supplementation with these may obviate the need for hormonal treatment, but only if iodine deficiency has been documented, which is very rare in the Western world. Whilst subclinical hypothyroidism is thought to have long-term consequences, such as atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease risks, there is no current consensus as to the benefits of treatment in this group.

Treatment is usually with levothyroxine (starting at 50 μg/day), a synthetic thyroxine analogue. There is no evidence suggesting that there is any need to substitute T3 as well.

Symptoms as well as TSH levels are used to monitor effect of substitution; a high TSH level suggests treatment is not yet adequate and that dose adjustments are necessary. A low ("suppressed") TSH may indicate the dose is too high. Some patients prefer a pig thyroid extract, natural desiccated thyroid hormones, which contains T3 as well as T4 and traces of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

Health Blogs

What’s the problem: Thyroid nodules are common and can be found in 25%-50% of adults. Found incidentally on imaging studies or felt by you or your doctor, nodules on the thyroid can lead to much anxiety. Nodules larger than 1 cm or nodules with sinister features go on to be biopsied and sometimes removed by surgery. Still questions ... Read More »
Statin users in my generation are the first to be on this drug for a lifetime, and we are still uncertain about long-term. I want to know each and every side effect or related health issue it may cause for me, so that I can make the decision about whether or not the risks are worth the benefit of taking the drug. Statins are an important tool ... Read More »
Last week I wrote about the predisposition in my family for heart disease, and the fact that I have been on medication for sky-high cholesterol since I was nine. The most common family of drugs used to treat high cholesterol are called statins, and they are very effective for people who do not respond well to a modified diet and exercise alone ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity