Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
natural vs. synthetic thryoid
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi Everyone,

I have seen a lot of people say that armour works better for them than synthetic thyroid. But the thing I wonder is why do certain people push it so hard on us? Most people I know who have thyroid issues do fine on synthetic thyroid. Why do people like mary shomon try so hard to push for something that endocrinologists say is usually not necessary?

Why isn't there an actual endocrinologist who will publicly support this amour craze? Why are they almost all 'natural' doctors?

Additionally, I noticed that armour changed their formulation a few years ago and it caused a LOT of problems for a lot of people. Since the reason endocrinologists prefer synthetic thyroid is that the dosage is more regulated, and since most studies DO NOT conclude that T3 combined with T4 works better for most, why was my initial impression after visiting Mary Shomon's thyroid-info.net website that I might as well not even bother getting help unless I found a doctor who wanted to give me armour right off the bat?

Logic seems to indicate that a good doctor will at least try the safer synthetic thryroid medication before trying another option.

What am I missing, does anyone have any hard data? I realize "testimonials" are considered valid to some, but if that was the case I'd imagine endicrinologists would eventually catch on too, when so far they have not. Granted, the medical community is slow to catch on to things, but what is the point in creating mistrust towards doctors? If i had trusted doctors, I would have tried harder to get treatment years ago for my symptoms.

I have been to third world countries where vaccinating children is such a problem because the village leaders don't trust doctors. But I guess the point I'm rambling on about is that if I care enough about people to be an 'advocate' I will get myself through medical school and earn a respected place in a medical community where my opinions and concern would be the most valuable.

WHat is your opinion about this, and do please support it with any data you'd care to share.
Posted on 02/07/10, 05:36 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/07/10  9:30pm
" How do YOU know how many drs. support Armour Thyroid???? You are surely not an authority on it since you have not taken both synthetic and natural. Armour Thyroid has been around for well over 75 yrs. and people did fine on it. I have been on the synthetic and so has others on here and they too have said the Armour works better. Read up on what others are saying about it on the computer befor making a statement.

It is pretty obvious that the reason Synthroid is what the drs. recommend is because they know Armour is in such high demand right now that unless the patient is willing to call around and work hard to find it they won't. It is a "quick fix" for the drs.

If you would read up more on it the thyroid naturally produces T3 which is the active hormone the body uses. Synthroid is only T4 and my body along MANY others cannot convert this to T4 to T3 to work. You need much education on this subject and have not read many posts on here obviously. I just picked up some at the pharmacy (they just got in a batch) and the pharmacist agreed that it is a better choice and he is a DOCTOR.

Don't start complaining about symptoms coming back and why is your dr. uping your medicine all the time----the reason for that is it isn't working to begin with. The drs. think all NEW meds are better than the old ones. You will lose patients quickly if you do not have an "open mind" to all options.

Kind of sounds like you perhaps will go into the medical field with blinders and be brain-washed by the colleges that teach "new is better". One thing is good, there are still people out there that do their research and find what works for them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/08/10  9:43am
" I hope somebody else will be patient and polite enough to educate me without being obtuse and condescending. I obviously do not claim to have all the facts. I never claimed to be an authority on anything, and people DID have and still DO have problems on armour. LOOK IT UP. And you telling me to 'read up on what others are saying about it on the computer' is pretty obtuse considering I addressed that specifically. Knock knock. Helloo? Do you know what people are saying about ACAI????

I was just asking questions and providing my point of view based on what info I could VERIFY.

Based on what I have read (and I have read PLENTY and continue to keep READING, thank you very much), MOST people convert T4 without a problem. I find it interesting that you think there is some vast conspiracy to simply cover up the truth Yet not unruprisingly you provide no actual sources for your 'data'. I will lump that little gem of info with the rest of your tyrade.

ENDOCRINILOGISTS and trials published in respected journals are saying in these things in public... which is why I asked for comparable DATA . Unless you understand this idea and can come forward without being rude, don't expect me to respond to you again going forward. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/08/10  10:51am
" To letmerest, I'm with you. I keep reading all this stuff about Armour Thyroid and have come to the same conclusions you did. I have never been on
Armour only Levothyroxine and am doing just fine on it.

I understand that you were just asking questions and not trying to be "an authority" on the subject. Sometimes people need to take a breath and think twice before they respond too emotionally and hurt someones feelings.
We need to remember ths is a support site and we are all here to help each other and educate each other the BEST we can and not tear each other down:-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/08/10  10:53am
" letmerest- that last part of my reply was intended for Barbell to think about:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/08/10  11:14am
" I agree with Candlegal, this site is not intended to be a fight fest. I have noticed that some people are VERY passionate about Armour. That is fine if that is what THEY feel is best. It is alway better not to push your own feelings on others tho. I do not feel that Letmerest was being pushy about her opinion either. If someone else feels Synthroid or some other meds are better for them, so be it. It is ok to express your viewpoint but don't make it sound like that is the ONLY point of view that people should have. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but really why attack people just because you feel one way and they feel another.
Letmerest, I did not feel you were trying to be an "authroity" on this either, you were just asking questions like Candlegal said, and letting us know what you have found on the topic. Barbell, I think you mean well, but I feel you could just try and let people know what you have found out about this topic, and while it's ok to be passionate about it, realize others may have found something that works well for them, and that is ok too.
I hope that those involved don't take this as an attack on them. I am simply expressing how I feel. No attack or bad feeling intended :). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/08/10  1:08pm
" Glad you are reading up on thyroid meds that is what I do too and have become more convinced than ever that synthetic is bad for people. Not trying to make anyone feel bad, just giving facts myself. I remember that Synthroid and Levo did have a tendency to make my feelings really sensitive too, sorry you are having that symptom it is not fun.

But like i mentioned there is plenty of info out there supporting Armour for the past 75 yrs or more. I have personally talked with everyone I run into that is on Synthroid or Levo and they have ALL said they still have the symptoms and doc keeps uping the meds. They ask me what i take so I tell them. So I do have experience with results and many, many testimonies from others to prove facts along with pharmacists and intelligent doctors.

You asked my opinion along with others that have personally emailed me so I give it out. My husband told me to quit telling people to change to Armour it makes the demand even higher and harder for me to get too. But I have always been a person to help others and always will be. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/08/10  1:33pm
" I can only tell you my experience with synthetics and Armour. I felt horrible on Levothyroxine (fatigue, couldn't concentrate, anxiety, etc..). I was able to get a RX for the equivalent dosage in Armour and immediately felt a difference. I had more energy, could concentrate better, and had less anxiety. I still don't feel 100%, but I'm feeling better nowadays. Cheers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/08/10  1:49pm
" To candlegal and mistyrae, thanks for the understanding. I do realize my tone could have been less challenging, but then I wouldn't havegotten my point accross. This emotional response seems to happen a lot; a lot of emotion and personal feelings about it with less hard facts. That doesn't mean a lot of people don't do better on armour. But that wasn't my point. My point is why don't I see more actual data and a little less defensiveness from those who have decided EVERYONE should try it? I was hoping the tone of my post would challenge somebody to bring a little more than anecdotal evidence is all. I am sorry if it seemed inflammatory. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/08/10  1:54pm
" Aviator, I have seen many people with the same experience as you, but there are few forums dedicated to insisting on using synthetic thyroid, and on posting tesimonials, and on selling their own books and stuff. I suspect that is why there are fewer testimonials about how well synthetic thyroid works just fine for just as many if not more, in comparison. But I might be wrong; I won't know if I stay silent. Synthetic seems to be working GREAT for me and I've only been on it one month...but I do need to watch my anxiety and might eventually consider armour too. But the risks of armour seem to get swept under the rug and I wonder why it seems that way to me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/08/10  2:04pm
" Barbell, I did ask everyone's opinion, and I specified I'd appreciate some hard data too. Your facts are all extremely anecdotal. You have given me plenty of opinion and absolutely no hard data. I'm sorry, but combining that with your defensive attitude kind of invalidated your opinion in my eyes. If you are so passionate about this it would make sense if you try to illustate your opinions a little better next time. I'm ready to start over if you are. I didn't mean to be combative. My apologies. There is no point coming here to learn anything if we can't get support in the process. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web