Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Green Tint in Eyes-Hashimoto?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello, I'm a new member and I'd like to ask if anyone else sees a green tint in one eye after getting up. Usually, I am on my side sleeping or reading a book before falling asleep and when I stand up the opposite side that I was sleeping on has a very strong green tint. The tint is so bad that my vision in the one eye is reduced to less than 1/3 of the usual vision.

I belong to another support group for a rare metabollic disorder, Porphyria, and a woman on that support group told me that is due to Hashimoto, or hypothyroidism.

But, today at a new Endrocrinologist she says, no.

Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks!

Denise
Posted on 10/28/10, 02:23 am
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/28/10  5:35pm
" Hi BarelyMoving, sometimes in certain diseases your sclera can thin out and turn it opaque in color. This can be perceived as bluish-green. Anemia can cause this too. I see that you have Porphyria and am wondering if you have cutaneous or acute porphyria? With acute I am wondering if it can cause anemia. Cutaneous can also cause some discoloration of skin from what I understand. I don't know if this goes for sclera too. With acute porphyria, hormonal problems can exacerbate it. Just shooting in the dark here. Have you talked to your doctor yet about this? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/28/10  9:29pm
" Green tint in eyes ?? Never read of that being a symptom of thyroid disease. If that were me I would go to an Ophthalmologist and get it checked out thoroughly. Any changes like that in a person's eyes sounds pretty serious to me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/28/10  9:58pm
" Just to clarify you are talking about a green tint in your vision, not the actual eye -- right? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/28/10  10:11pm
" Seems like it's putting a pressure on your eye or optic nerve when you're lying down? Maybe it's a circulation problem from lying down? Did you ask an eye doctor about it?

{{{hugs}}} :-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/29/10  9:53am
" In the wording it sounded to me like her iris in the eye was tinted. Could be taken either way I guess. (quote)----> "Hello, I'm a new member and I'd like to ask if anyone else sees a green tint in one eye after getting up."

If a person is seeing wrong colors it is also not normal and definitely a sign to see the Ophthalmologist. Eyes are too precious to take a chance on losing vision. My mother had macular degeneration and went blind from it so when someone mentions eye problems is concerns me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/31/10  11:31pm
" Thanks, Nurse Tracey. The color is really green, like a mossy green. I'm an artist so identifying color is part of me. I have PCT. The treatment for PCT is what I call medieval blood draws (phlebotomies). For a year I was very anemic with my ferritin between 7 and 11. My ferritin had a recent big drop with the last phlebotomy. I have talked to my doctor about this - she is a Hematologist/Oncologist (I also had breast cancer, after the porphyria). She hadn't heard about it and had no suggestions. PCT was new to her. I also mentioned it to my NP, my GP (2) and no one has heard anything about it. It worries me because it's the eyes and we depend on our eyesight for so much. Thank you for your time. Denise "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/31/10  11:35pm
" Ter1 - yes, I'm taling about a vision that is tinted green (my eyes are brown!). Sort of like you are looking through very dark mossy green glasses.

to mmztcass - sounds like I should take Barbell's suggestion of checking it out with an Ophthalmologist.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/01/10  6:27pm
" BarelyMoving:

Let us know how it goes with the eye appt. We care with how you are doing.

{{{hugs}}} "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/02/10  2:24pm
" I echo opthamologist. This is an atypical thing you got going on. I have never heard of it. It sounds like it would be due to a blood disorder but you can't be too sure. I would go asap to ease your mind and to thwart whatever is going quickly. Keep us posted. Hugs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/03/10  5:29pm
" My eyes turn green when my moods change, but my vision does not change. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web