Synthroid on empty stomach
I've been on Synthroid my whole life, and I've always taken it with my breakfast, and I don't notice any special difference than when I take it on an empty stomach, other than I'm grouchy from not eating. Is it really that important? Just wondering.

Also, does anyone get bloated around their tummy if they forget a couple of doses?
Posted on 10/03/07, 12:20 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/04/07  1:39am
" I've heard that taking it with food is not good because it doesn't absorb into your body as quickly. Taking it at least 30 minutes before you eat is best. I never forget my dose because I take it first thing in the morning. My routine is to get up, hit the potty, and hit the kitchen for a drink of water and my synthroid. "
Reply #2 - 10/04/07  12:33pm
" The main thing that eating when you take it does is affect the amount that you need to take. If your dose has been adjusted for eating while taking it, then just continue as you are. "
Reply #3 - 10/04/07  1:13pm
" Although it's been said for years that synthroid should be taken 30 mins. away fr. food, you may not have heard about it until recently b/c both drs. & pharmacists weren't told to emphasize this. A recent study showed greater absorption on an empty stomach. But, the key is, as suggested above, if your dose has been working for you taken w/ food, don't change it. If you do, you'll notice a difference, should get retested and may need to modify dose. Key too is if you have other things compromising your system, which w/ thyroiditis is often the case, you CAN FEEL THE RESULTS OF an off- balanced thyroid in as little as ONE single solitary day. I do and fortunately my dr. believes people above clinical lab crap. If you're tired these days and your system is being overloaded w/ other problems, the weather and change of seasons might mean you have a seasonal thyroid. Then you might have hypo & hyper symptoms. Oy. But welcome! Sucks though often the case. Frequent dose changes around seasons changing will work. Patience!! LOL, nomemory "
Reply #4 - 10/04/07  8:09pm
" Thanks, everyone! "
Reply #5 - 10/05/07  3:55pm
" I have also heard from all my docs that you should take it first thing in the morning, at least 1 hour before eating and do not take any multivitamins or calcium around the same time. When I take it and then wait a while to eat, sometimes it feels like my stomach hurts more when I'm hungry. "
Reply #6 - 10/07/07  11:15am
" Depending on how long you've been taking it, and how your levels are, you may as well keep taking it like you are. The pharmacist told me this. Now, if you are having problems keeping your dose low, try taking a squirt bottle of water to bed with you and as soon as you wake up take your pill. That's what I do, it works like a charm! "
Reply #7 - 10/08/07  9:49pm
" Yes, it does make a difference. My doctors, years ago, forgot to tell me that it needed to be taken on an empty stomach for full absorption....I took it with breakfast all those years....and still had so many symptoms. Then when I read a book telling me NOT to take it with food, I stopped....but soon after my thyroid flipped over to hyper from hypo, so obviously I was getting too high of a dose taking it without food. I'm really messed up now with thyroiditis, etc. Follow the directions, and for Heaven's sake, don't skip doses....you'll mess yourself up....write a note if you are forgetting. "
Reply #8 - 10/15/07  1:39am
" To clarify, when I said that I've been on Synthroid my whole life, I'm not exaggerating. I was born 7 weeks early and have no functioning thyroid. I take it on an empty stomach now, and really haven't noticed a difference. I've been taking it with food for the last eighteen years, and until last year there was never anything about taking it on an empty stomach. I don't know, it seems strange to suddenly change the rules like that. "
Reply #9 - 10/16/07  2:25pm
" I was told you need to wait at least one hour after eating to help with the absorption of the thyroid medication. That way I guess it gets absorbed the maximum it can into your system. "
Reply #10 - 12/29/09  10:58am
" Well, not to add more things to worry about, but I have confirmation from my doctor and the pharmacist that we should not eat anything for 4 hours after you take synthroid that has CALCIUM or IRON (and they are not talking about supplements only... food). I am eating pretzles every morning for breakfast and was hoping someone could help me find foods that do not have calcium and iron. "