Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Puffy face
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
For the last couple of years I've noticed my face is puffy. It's adding age and stress to my face. I was told that once my thyroid levels were at a somewhat normal level, this would taper off. Well I've slowly been upped to 125mcg of Synthroid, a bp med with diuretic, etc.. I noticed today my face is STILL quite puffy. Maybe more. What the heck? Will this ever leave?? I'm approximately 50-60 lbs thinner than I was when I started this nasty journey with my thyroid, five years ago. Granted, I'm 5 years older but the puffiness is driving me insane! Is this something that everyone battles with?
Posted on 11/14/07, 04:57 pm
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/14/07  11:53pm
" My face gets puffy too.Since my thyroid levels are where they should be,my dr thiks it could be sinus problems. I am very puffy in the morning and can't wair my glasses for about an hour before it goes down enough to put them on. Do you think their could be another "problem" causing the puffy face?? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/15/07  1:37am
" I'm not sure. My endo told me the puffiness would eventually leave but who knows? Of course I'm a month away from 42 so maybe it's the way I'm aging. I just dont like it. My eyes are the worst and then I have these jowl things starting. I hate it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/16/07  10:29pm
" There are other endocrine problems that can cause a "puffy" face. Look up on like web md and search endocrine disorders. see if that helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/27/08  6:09pm
" Could hypo EDEMA, consult with an Endocrinologist regarding this to make sure it's not serious. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/27/08  7:03pm
" My eyelids are puffy, especiall in the mornings. I will be having thyroid surgery in about 10 days. Any advice on what to expect? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/21/08  10:18am
" I've had a similar experience, although my face stopped getting more puffy when I started thyroid medication - after two years of it worsening every day! By the end of it I didn't recognise myself in the mirror any more and couldn't bear to look, so I know how it is! Unfortunately it didn't actually start to improve until I started taking iodine supplements last year. Now I also use an over-the-counter diuretic from a weightlifting supply shop, and I am finally starting to see a difference 7 tough years later! The cause of the edema is actually a gel-like substance which for some reason is not drained correctly (by the lymphatic system) by certain people with an underactive thyroid. The substance is a bright yellow colour (don't ask how I know:), maybe you could have a look at light lymphatic facial massage to get the lymph moving along in the face. I've been doing this for about two weeks now and seem to be shifting quite a lot of the nasty substance! Don't expect your doctor to know any of this, none of the ones I consulted (15-20?) took me even remotely seriously or had the slightest idea what it was. The endocrinologist insisted that it wasn't even thyroid-related but was caused by an allergy, but wouldn't so much as hasard a guess as to the putative "allergen" and driving me even further up the wall in the process...so good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/13/11  7:35am
" Yes its part of the hypothroidism. Weird how doctors dismiss this when its a classic symptom. Facenastics can help by jack lalanne they are on utube "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/14/11  2:14pm
" My face was puffy for years (10?) prior to diagnosis (5/09). I was told that it was allergies etc. Once I diagnosed and the puffiness subsided I was left with a great deal of extra skin. I had a face lift in 8/10. I was not trying to look younger, just trying to look my age. I will be 52 this year. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web