Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Switching from Synthroid + Cytomel to NatureThroid
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm currently on 75mcg Synthroid and 5mcg Cytomel but still not feeling great. I have asked my DR to switch me to NatureThroid and will be getting this in the mail in the next 2 weeks.

I know I can't stop taking the meds until I get the NT but when I do get the Nature-throid do I slowly ween myself off of the synthroid. I know I can stop the cytomel since NT has T3 in there too and is fast acting.

The conversion says 1 Grain NT = 75-100 mcg Syntroid, which I don't quite understand b/c 1 grain NT has only 35mcg T4 and 9mcg T3. Am I reading the conversion table wrong.

How should I be taking the Nature-throid?
Posted on 06/25/10, 10:41 pm
10 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/26/10  12:01pm
" Ask your doctor or the pharmacist how to take and stop the 2 medications. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/17/10  10:15am
" Can't give you any advice on how to stop, but I, too, have been taking 75 mcg Synthroid, but 5 mcg (3 times daily). My other endo told me to take 2 of the 5 mcg tabs in the morning to jump start my metabolism. It does not work at all, and honestly, I only take the 2 in the morning and don't take the 3rd one in the afternoon. The two don't seem to do any good either. I don't see any different at all with the Cytomel and don't believe it's done any good. It doesn't seem to affect me at all to take it or not. I am anxious to hear how you do on the Nature-throid. I am hoping that's my next step. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/17/10  4:59pm
" Here is the conversion chart for Nature Throid from the company that makes it. http://www.nature-throid.com/conver...

It is actually the same equivalent as Armour conversion. Doubt if most drs or pharmacists even know what the conversion would be. When I changed to Armour, I just stopped the Synthroid one day and took the Armour the next. No problem switching a HUGE difference in how I felt in a few days. Best Wishes ! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/17/10  8:23pm
" What a pleasant surprise. When I read my e-mail and say this post, I was happy to see it. I thought the post was dead. When I received the NT in the mail I waited until lthe next morning and stopped the synthroid and cytomel and took 1 1/2 grain NT. I was on .75 Synthroid and 1 grain NT is equiv to .100 synthroid, BUT breaking down futher:

1 GRAIN NT = 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3
1 1/2 Grain NT = 57 mcg T4 and 13.5 mcg T3

After 4 weeks I did a blood test and these were my results:
TSH – 0.26 ( 0.4 – 4.50)
T4 Total = 5.5 (4.8 – 10.4)
Free T4 = 0.7 (0.8 -1.8)
T3 Total = 116 (76 – 181)
Free T3 = 274 (230 – 420)
T3 Uptake = 32 (22 – 35)
RT3 (Reserve T3) = 14 (11 – 32)
Thyroblobulin Antibodies = Less than 20 ( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/18/10  11:03am
" How do you feel? It looks like you could be on a little more of a dosage but I would go by how I felt more than the numbers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/18/10  9:16pm
" I'm not feeling too good. I'm at 2 1/2 grain NT and am afraid to increase. I have an appt with an Endo on August 31 and will be taking my recent blood results. I will hold at this current dosage and bare it until then. The last time I exercised was this last Sat and Sun. I just feel so lazy and down and just want to come home and do absolutely nothing. My energy is so taxed right now. I hate this feeling. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/18/10  11:44pm
" wow---that is a high dose of NT in my opinion, I would be mega hyper. You may want to get your Vit D checked that makes a person very sluggish and tired. My was way low and is slowly coming up since I have been taking it. I feel some better too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/19/10  12:57pm
" I keep checking my blood pressure and pulse to make sure I not going hyper. Last night I did my BP - 110/72 and HR - 74. So I think I'm OK with the 2 1/2 grain NT. I feel horrible though. Will have to stay at this dosage until I see the Endo on August 31. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with this experience. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/19/10  12:48pm
" I'm new here, but I came across this post and wanted to know how you were feeling with Naturethroid and how your doctor's visit went in August. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/10/10  5:48pm
" vg, my doc just made the switch abruptly. It was fine. The Armour at 60mg was too low a dose, but once they increased it, I was fine within a week and a half. If anything, you will probably start to feel better. The doc will call in the dose to the pharmacy and they will calculate it for you. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web