Switching from Synthroid + Cytomel to NatureThroid
I'm currently on 75mcg Synthroid and 5mcg Cytomel but still not feeling great. I have asked my DR to switch me to NatureThroid and will be getting this in the mail in the next 2 weeks.

I know I can't stop taking the meds until I get the NT but when I do get the Nature-throid do I slowly ween myself off of the synthroid. I know I can stop the cytomel since NT has T3 in there too and is fast acting.

The conversion says 1 Grain NT = 75-100 mcg Syntroid, which I don't quite understand b/c 1 grain NT has only 35mcg T4 and 9mcg T3. Am I reading the conversion table wrong.

How should I be taking the Nature-throid?
Posted on 06/25/10, 10:41 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hypothyroidism. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 06/26/10  12:01pm
" Ask your doctor or the pharmacist how to take and stop the 2 medications. "
Reply #2 - 08/17/10  10:15am
" Can't give you any advice on how to stop, but I, too, have been taking 75 mcg Synthroid, but 5 mcg (3 times daily). My other endo told me to take 2 of the 5 mcg tabs in the morning to jump start my metabolism. It does not work at all, and honestly, I only take the 2 in the morning and don't take the 3rd one in the afternoon. The two don't seem to do any good either. I don't see any different at all with the Cytomel and don't believe it's done any good. It doesn't seem to affect me at all to take it or not. I am anxious to hear how you do on the Nature-throid. I am hoping that's my next step. "
Reply #3 - 08/17/10  4:59pm
" Here is the conversion chart for Nature Throid from the company that makes it. http://www.nature-throid.com/conver...

It is actually the same equivalent as Armour conversion. Doubt if most drs or pharmacists even know what the conversion would be. When I changed to Armour, I just stopped the Synthroid one day and took the Armour the next. No problem switching a HUGE difference in how I felt in a few days. Best Wishes ! "
Reply #4 - 08/17/10  8:23pm
" What a pleasant surprise. When I read my e-mail and say this post, I was happy to see it. I thought the post was dead. When I received the NT in the mail I waited until lthe next morning and stopped the synthroid and cytomel and took 1 1/2 grain NT. I was on .75 Synthroid and 1 grain NT is equiv to .100 synthroid, BUT breaking down futher:

1 GRAIN NT = 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3
1 1/2 Grain NT = 57 mcg T4 and 13.5 mcg T3

After 4 weeks I did a blood test and these were my results:
TSH – 0.26 ( 0.4 – 4.50)
T4 Total = 5.5 (4.8 – 10.4)
Free T4 = 0.7 (0.8 -1.8)
T3 Total = 116 (76 – 181)
Free T3 = 274 (230 – 420)
T3 Uptake = 32 (22 – 35)
RT3 (Reserve T3) = 14 (11 – 32)
Thyroblobulin Antibodies = Less than 20 ( "
Reply #5 - 08/18/10  11:03am
" How do you feel? It looks like you could be on a little more of a dosage but I would go by how I felt more than the numbers. "
Reply #6 - 08/18/10  9:16pm
" I'm not feeling too good. I'm at 2 1/2 grain NT and am afraid to increase. I have an appt with an Endo on August 31 and will be taking my recent blood results. I will hold at this current dosage and bare it until then. The last time I exercised was this last Sat and Sun. I just feel so lazy and down and just want to come home and do absolutely nothing. My energy is so taxed right now. I hate this feeling. "
Reply #7 - 08/18/10  11:44pm
" wow---that is a high dose of NT in my opinion, I would be mega hyper. You may want to get your Vit D checked that makes a person very sluggish and tired. My was way low and is slowly coming up since I have been taking it. I feel some better too. "
Reply #8 - 08/19/10  12:57pm
" I keep checking my blood pressure and pulse to make sure I not going hyper. Last night I did my BP - 110/72 and HR - 74. So I think I'm OK with the 2 1/2 grain NT. I feel horrible though. Will have to stay at this dosage until I see the Endo on August 31. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with this experience. "
Reply #9 - 09/19/10  12:48pm
" I'm new here, but I came across this post and wanted to know how you were feeling with Naturethroid and how your doctor's visit went in August. "
Reply #10 - 11/10/10  5:48pm
" vg, my doc just made the switch abruptly. It was fine. The Armour at 60mg was too low a dose, but once they increased it, I was fine within a week and a half. If anything, you will probably start to feel better. The doc will call in the dose to the pharmacy and they will calculate it for you. "