Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Headaches worse after shunt placed
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Anyone else have or get horrible headaches since having a shunt placed? I got mine Oct 28th 2011 and was fine for a couple months until now! Throbbing, pressure headaches that when I cough feel like my head will explode. Laughing even makes it hurt worse. Both Neurologist and Neurosurgeon are very rude, speak poor english and think I am making it up. What can I do?
Posted on 02/03/12, 04:25 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hydrocephalus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/03/12  7:01am
" I don't remember ever not having a shunt as I've had hydro since I was a baby. But I can tell you that I also get some pretty nasty headaches. I would suggest finding a different neurologist or even maybe talking to your family doctor to maybe try to find a way to deal with the headaches. I ended up with a prescription for them which seems to help. Good luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/03/12  6:51pm
" My "family Dr" is whoever is working that day and to top it off I have to manage to wake up by 7:30am and call in and hope I get in. The Neuro's here are all affiliated with one another, it is a pain in the butt! These headaches are intense and get worse as the day progresses! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/04/12  12:55pm
" You need to find some new doctors. You should find someone who speaks English who understands what you are going through. I would suggest you go to the ER. That way you can see another doctor. Have you had a CT scan recently? Also, if you have a programmable shunt the pressure setting may need to be changed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/04/12  12:58pm
" I just read your second reply. If you headaches are getting worse as the day goes along it could be because the shunt is draining too much fluid throughout the day as you sit and stand up. If this is the case you should have the setting changed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/06/12  1:01am
" Went to the er after waking up with a sneezing fit, felt like my head was going to explode. Anyways, they gave me a shot of dilaudid, nothing, then gave me some shot of some kind of steroid and a cup of coffee, calmed it down. They did a ct and it showed the shunt still working, and I have a MRI scheduled for Wednesday, which will have me see the awesome Neurosurgeon to reset it.
I have the Medtronic programmable shunt, and it has been changed both lower and higher flow to no relief. I am seriously to the point of having them take it out if possible?! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/16/12  11:58am
" I just had a programmable shunt put in two and a half weeks ago and I still have nasty headaches. What kind of shunt do you have? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/16/12  5:17pm
" Medtronic programmable. Sometime in the next week or so I will finally be seen 60 miles away at Swedish Hospital, supposedly the best in the state Neurosurgeons so I hope to find out something then. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web