Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
VP Shunt & Abdominal Pain?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone experienced abdominal pain or discomfort as a result of the shunt?

The reason I ask is my 3-yr-old was complaining today of a sore tummy and when asked where, she rubbed her tummy by her scar. I was worried if it was something shunt related....after a visit to the ER, we're okay and whatever was bothering her has cleared itself up.

I know what to look for as far as a blockage, I was just wondering if there's ever an issue with the end of the shunt that drains into the abdominal cavity-ever causing any problems/discomfort.

Thank you, Amy
Posted on 05/14/08, 01:53 pm
9 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hydrocephalus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/14/08  2:31pm
" funny you sound ask. i get those pains all the time. i don't know what they mean either. but maybe ill find out. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/14/08  10:37pm
" I've had pains around my scar and I don't worry about it, because I'm older. When I did have a problem, after a ton of tests, it turned out to be acid reflux. But, I would worry if he starts vomiting, has a headache, or if the spot itself changes in anyway. If it swells, or anything like that. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/15/08  5:24pm
" YES YES YES! I KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER'S PROBLEM! I JUST STARTED HAVING PROLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH MY SHUNTS AS A RESULT OF THIS.... HER NTESTINES COULD BE BACKED UP WITH POOP! IF OUR INTESTINES GET BACKED UP TO A CERTIAN POINT, THEY BEGIN TO BULGE AND PLACE PRESSURE ON THE STOMACH. IF YOU HAVE A VP SHUNT, THEN THE STOMACH BLOATING BLOCKS THE DRAINING OF THE CATHEDER. GET YOUR DAUGHTER SOME COLON CLEANSE. THIS DOESN'T MAKE HER HAVE DIARHEA, IT JUST WILL MAKE HER POOP ON A REGULAR BASIS. IF THIS IS HER PROBLEM, THEN THE COLON CLEANSE SHOULD FIX HER IN A FEW DAYS. OH AND THIS IS ONLY IF SHE HAS A VP SHUNT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED TO KNOW SOME NAMES OF SOME COLON CLEANSING PRODUCTS OR PLACES TO GET THEM. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/15/08  10:02pm
" i get pain on the site of both scars but have been told its scar tissue from so many operations "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/20/08  1:53am
" My son is 8mos old with a VP shunt and when they put it in, they gave him 3ft of tubing in his abdominal cavity to allow the shunt to stretch and grow with him. Is it possible that you can feel the tubing being pulled at the abdominal incision as you grow? Just a random thought. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/26/08  1:27am
" My daughter is almost 15 with a VP shunt, and gets these pains all the time - her neurologist told us it is her tubing (which is coiled in her stomach) rubbing in her stomach. Usually it happens a little while after eating. She also gets pains where here scar is. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/02/08  10:50am
" Belly pain is very common it comes from the tube where it drains into your stomach. I also get these pains regularly, if I push in the area of the pain to move the tube it tends to help somewhat. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/18/09  4:53pm
" I have been experiencing the same thing ever since they moved my shunt from my jugular to my abdomen in 1/08. My heart goes out to her because it really hurts it is like someone is stabbing you a very sharp pain that seems like a nerve pain. I really don't have much advice for you except that when the shunt gets infected she will have a fever. I will be praying for you and her. God bless "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/18/09  6:19pm
" Yep , mine does too. did they eat too much? I've noticed sometimes when my stomach really full I get abdominal pain around my tubing. could also be sign of infection too, so maybe keep an eye on her. But most likely nothing to worry about. keep in touch. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web