VP Shunt & Abdominal Pain?
Has anyone experienced abdominal pain or discomfort as a result of the shunt?

The reason I ask is my 3-yr-old was complaining today of a sore tummy and when asked where, she rubbed her tummy by her scar. I was worried if it was something shunt related....after a visit to the ER, we're okay and whatever was bothering her has cleared itself up.

I know what to look for as far as a blockage, I was just wondering if there's ever an issue with the end of the shunt that drains into the abdominal cavity-ever causing any problems/discomfort.

Posted on 05/14/08, 01:53 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hydrocephalus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/14/08  2:31pm
" funny you sound ask. i get those pains all the time. i don't know what they mean either. but maybe ill find out. "
Reply #2 - 05/14/08  10:37pm
" I've had pains around my scar and I don't worry about it, because I'm older. When I did have a problem, after a ton of tests, it turned out to be acid reflux. But, I would worry if he starts vomiting, has a headache, or if the spot itself changes in anyway. If it swells, or anything like that. "
Reply #3 - 05/15/08  5:24pm
" YES YES YES! I KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER'S PROBLEM! I JUST STARTED HAVING PROLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH MY SHUNTS AS A RESULT OF THIS.... HER NTESTINES COULD BE BACKED UP WITH POOP! IF OUR INTESTINES GET BACKED UP TO A CERTIAN POINT, THEY BEGIN TO BULGE AND PLACE PRESSURE ON THE STOMACH. IF YOU HAVE A VP SHUNT, THEN THE STOMACH BLOATING BLOCKS THE DRAINING OF THE CATHEDER. GET YOUR DAUGHTER SOME COLON CLEANSE. THIS DOESN'T MAKE HER HAVE DIARHEA, IT JUST WILL MAKE HER POOP ON A REGULAR BASIS. IF THIS IS HER PROBLEM, THEN THE COLON CLEANSE SHOULD FIX HER IN A FEW DAYS. OH AND THIS IS ONLY IF SHE HAS A VP SHUNT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED TO KNOW SOME NAMES OF SOME COLON CLEANSING PRODUCTS OR PLACES TO GET THEM. "
Reply #4 - 05/15/08  10:02pm
" i get pain on the site of both scars but have been told its scar tissue from so many operations "
Reply #5 - 09/20/08  1:53am
" My son is 8mos old with a VP shunt and when they put it in, they gave him 3ft of tubing in his abdominal cavity to allow the shunt to stretch and grow with him. Is it possible that you can feel the tubing being pulled at the abdominal incision as you grow? Just a random thought. "
Reply #6 - 09/26/08  1:27am
" My daughter is almost 15 with a VP shunt, and gets these pains all the time - her neurologist told us it is her tubing (which is coiled in her stomach) rubbing in her stomach. Usually it happens a little while after eating. She also gets pains where here scar is. "
Reply #7 - 10/02/08  10:50am
" Belly pain is very common it comes from the tube where it drains into your stomach. I also get these pains regularly, if I push in the area of the pain to move the tube it tends to help somewhat. "
Reply #8 - 05/18/09  4:53pm
" I have been experiencing the same thing ever since they moved my shunt from my jugular to my abdomen in 1/08. My heart goes out to her because it really hurts it is like someone is stabbing you a very sharp pain that seems like a nerve pain. I really don't have much advice for you except that when the shunt gets infected she will have a fever. I will be praying for you and her. God bless "
Reply #9 - 05/18/09  6:19pm
" Yep , mine does too. did they eat too much? I've noticed sometimes when my stomach really full I get abdominal pain around my tubing. could also be sign of infection too, so maybe keep an eye on her. But most likely nothing to worry about. keep in touch. "