Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
exercises that don't interfere with a catheter
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
After being inactive for so long I recently started walking in order to get some exercise. However, to avoid backache I have to hold in my tummy muscles and this causes pain from the catheter. Has anybody found exercises they can do without causing problems?
Posted on 08/17/11, 03:14 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hydrocephalus. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/17/11  10:25pm
" swimming, horseback riding, and yoga are three of the lowest impact exercises I've done throughout my life and nothing effected my 2 VP shunts. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/17/11  11:10pm
" I've had a programmable shunt for about 4 years, and I do fine with track, cross country, and marching band. Basketball is also pretty good. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/18/11  4:59am
" Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I find running etc difficult due to having one leg slightly longer than the other, which did lead to me having a surface hip replacement 3 years ago. Financial constraints also rule out any 'paid for' activities at the moment. I will just try to keep up the walking and do some gentle exercises at home to strengthen my core muscles - but thanks anyway guys. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web