Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
sex life, or the lack there of.
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
i am so frustrated with this disease, it has killed my self esteem and made it neerly impossible for me to even attempt to get in a relationship with a woman. in the past women have been understanding, but now it has progressed to an area where it not only affects me mentally but sexually also. i can only hope that this acutane works like it has in the past or i might just b single for the rest of my life.
Posted on 09/29/09, 09:10 am
22 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/30/09  1:21am
" No you wont! First of all stop thinking like that! There are women out there who understand and will love YOU for YOU, HS and all that goes with it! Believe me, I too thought I was doomed to be single, then I met a man who loves me for who I am, and he accepts HS and walks the walk of it with me. We have been married for 10 years and have 2 wonderful children together. There are days when I am the biggest bitch on the planet and he even accepts that and knows that it is the pain of cysts talking and not what I truly mean. I have had HS for 27 years and am stage 3 with scars and cysts everywhere you can think..even on my face..if I can find true love, ANYONE can! I am confident that you will find your soul mate as well, it is just a matter of time. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/30/09  6:15pm
" I was right there with you thinking no one would ever want to be with someone who has bumps and scars all over the place. But, like RebeccaV, I finally found the right man and am engaged to be married. I was so scared that he was going to be disgusted with my body, like I am most of the time, but he loves me for me and is continually helping me raise my self esteem. I have had HS for about 15 years now and there was definitely a time when I thought no one would ever want to be with me. I know it's hard, but you really have to keep the door to love and acceptance open, and know that there are gentle, understanding people out there. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/30/09  6:53pm
" I am agree with you,girls..My body is complettely destroyed with HS,but my soul and heart are clean.Due to Hs all my emotional and sexual life was broken down,including my marriage with wrong person.I was down,but,at moment I am with wonderfull girl.Like Rebecca said,if I can find true love,anyone can.Bumpy,be strong and don't worry,you will find somebody. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/17/10  7:47pm
" To all you people out there that share my pain, I desperately need advice. I'm 29 and I've had HS since puberty and needless to say it's no surprise that this has been the bane of my existence and the source of major insecurities and serious self-esteem issues in dealing with people in general, much less get in a relationship with a man and have to tell him about this and attempt to explain or God forbid show him. It is an ugly nasty disgusting disease and frankly if I didn't have it, I'd be repulsed by it. My point is I've never even thought of entering into a relationship because the last thing I need is an unfavourable reaction to this problem which would be even worse for my self-image and self-worth because I already loathe myself enough the way it is. But I just can't go on like this - I need intimacy and I feel like I don't even have a right to want or pursue a relationship. I just want to know that I have that option. To all you brave people who have somehow overcome this barrier and are now in happy relationships, how did you do it? I want to hear from you (especially women). I would appreciate specifics such as when you are interested in someone and start going out with them, how soon do you tell them about this disease? How do you handle it if the reaction is bad? etc. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/18/10  5:36am
" Listen up people. I am recently divorced and looking back I can say that it was the depression and self loathing that stemmed from self image issues that destroyed my marriage,..not the disease itself. I am going to be blunt here...you need to do some soul searching and learn to love and respect yourself as you are. Once you can do that you will have the confidence to get out there and date again.

Here's the blunt part. Vaginas are vagainas and cocks are cocks ok? Guys...you can still go on dates and be charming....until you get in a situation say where you are watching a movie with someone and start rubbing their shoulders or something. By this time in the relationship there should be at least a little trust established. Once she is really going just get serious and tell her you have a skin disease and that you want to keep your boxers on or whatever...at this point she is already into you and has decided to sleep with you so piece of cake right?

Girls...don't get with guys that are assholes is my opinion. You should be able to tell this well before any sexual encounter. Guys are much more tenacious than women. If they know they are about to get it trust me some boils and scars is not going to stop them! lol

I know this is blunt but these are legitimate issues we young people face with this disease. If nothing else from my marriage I do know how to please a woman orally and I really enjoy it. Now for me I am uncomfortable in having oral performed on me because of the scarring and stuff but thats ok. I can do my thing and then just go into the real deal no problem.

There are understanding people out there. Guys i suggest going for nurses because they medically understand the stuff and it won't bother them as much.

I suggest number one just use this time that you are single to figure yourself out. Meditate and learn how to become comfortable in your own skin. Accept yourself how you are before you try worrying about relationships ok? Work on you and don't look for love....it will find you when you least expect it.

Hope this was not too offensive for some readers and hope this helps.....

DustBuk3t "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/20/10  10:53pm
" HS has been destroying my self esteem for long time. Every time I got outbreak I would stay at home and get into "why me?" mode. Obviously I was psychologically suffering -- even more than physiologically.

With time, however, I learned to accept this disease and that I can't 100% control it. I can manage it to some extent -- diet, exercising, good sleep, stress reduction, and antibiotics (when things are getting hairy). I hope that one day it will go away completely, but now I will keep it in control and if I get another boil so what? I can live with that -- some people have worse health problems and since this is the only health disease that I have -- I feel blessed.

As far as sexual and dating life -- understand this -- HS DOES NOT DEFINE WHO I AM. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT IT'S YOUR PROBLEM -- read it hundreds of times until you get it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/20/10  11:57pm
" Im 23 yrs old and because of HS ive never been able to feel comfortable getting intimate with a guy. I get to that point and shut down emotionally because of the fear of how my skin looks. I found a good guy right now but i have yet to tell him about HS. I don't know how or when to bring it up. If i should let him know before anything should happen or wait until its going to occur to say anything. I've never had sex or anything because im just so uncomfortable with my scars and boils. This man seems like he really cares for me but to let someone see me .. that way.. I dont know if ill ever be intimate with someone. Ladies HELP!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/21/10  5:51am
" I understand what you mean i,m 17 yrs old and i,ve had hs for 4 years. now it has put me down and i would like to have arelationship with a girl. and iwould love to have sex one day and i pray about it . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/23/10  8:03am
" Peekaaboo I'm in almost your exact same position. I am also 23, and have a guy in my life who wants to see me naked. I can't do it. I'm too ashamed. I don't know how to get over the fear that he will be disgusted with me and leave. Even though he tells me that he knows he'll like what he sees, and I've explained to him that I have a skin disorder, I'm still scared out of my wits that I'm going to lose him.

I feel like I'll be alone forever! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/24/10  7:03pm
" I just turned 31. Ive had hs since I was 16. I could always find a way to hide it, lights out etc.... However, its gotten really bad in the last two years,trust me there's no hiding this. Also, I met my fiance around the same time things worsened. I think you just kinda know when the times right,and whether or not you trust the other person. I had been throwing out hints, and one night had a little to much to drink Andrew told him everything. This may not have been the proper way, but I needed a little courage. After I told him, I actually felt a little silly, like I had made such a big deal out of it, when it didn't bother him at all. He is very supportive and a blessing. However,I know not all me, or women are that way and that's were the courage juice came in. Good luck to everyone dealing with this issue. If they cant handle it, you didn't need them in the first place. Love yourself first and the rest follows. I know somtimes its hard, but your worth it!!!!!!! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web