Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Disability????
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone ever received disability due to this disease? I am having trouble keeping a job, due to absences. Is anyone else having this problem?
Posted on 03/03/09, 11:05 am
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #11 - 07/18/09  9:31pm
" Almost everyone gets denied the first time they apply. Keep at it! I went to the hearing with my brother and he gave a great description of H.S. Then he offered to show her and she said she didn't think that would be neccessary! I think she was glad to see the last of him. Oh and he did get SSI.

As far as what is on the website, it depends if they consider you unable to work. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #12 - 07/18/12  7:01pm
" I work for a Social Security Disability attorney part time AND have applied for Disability myself for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. What you need in order to be approved is to have it in 2 or more regions...groin, buttock, breast, underarms....Your doctor needs to fill out an RFC (Residual Functional Capacity) form stating these limitations: that you would be required to miss 4 or more days off of work a month (which is REALISTIC) and that when you have an outbreak, that you are 20% or more off task. That's it. They also want to see that you have tried treatment for 3 continuous months with not getting better. But SSA will deny everyone that does not have a RFC form. When you don't have one from your doctor, SSA will send you to theirs for one, and of course it will say what THEY want it to say leading to a denial. I suggest when you first apply, you buy the book. Talk to your doctor, take the print out from the SSA website regarding the disease, some doctors don't have a clue that it is considered a disability. Explain to your doctor that you are suffering and ask them to fill out an RFC form. Also when applying, I would send pictures of lesions. The reason I suggest that is because Hidradenitis is highly unknown to people who know nothing about it. Pictures will give them an idea of the suffering. Hope this helps. I'll keep everyone posted on the decision they give me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #13 - 07/19/12  9:51am
" Just had an appointment with the disability doctor yesterday. It was just a physical he kept asking me how far I thought I could walk and I just said it depends on if i'm flaring or not. He saw my ass and underarms so I have no idea what he wrote down for social security. I hope he helped me get it but I don't know. Should know in about 30 days

Dus "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #14 - 07/20/12  2:36am
" I applied for my daughter online and then they called me for an appointment. The process was really simple and she was approved within two months. At that time she had only had two surgeries but extensive Dr appointments for the past 4 years. I didn't have to speak to any of her Dr's I just gave SS office their fax numbers.Really simple process. We are just finishing up turning in all of our income and assets. I have missed so much work taking care of her that we are income qualified for the time being. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #15 - 07/22/12  12:19pm
" I've been thinking about applying for it, too. But I'm wondering how much of your income is replaced? I make 80K, but if I go on disability, how much would it pay? I'm guessing not 100%. ANyone have any info on that? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web