Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Shower Time
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Im sure this has been posted about before but there are so many posts to look through.....so.....

What do you use for cleaning the area's? What types of soaps or cleansers brands? Fragrance free or dye free?

Also is it best to soak in a bath or a shower?

Cold or hot water?

Thanks guys :)
Posted on 05/23/12, 02:11 am
23 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/23/12  2:25am
" I have an Epsom Salt (4-5 tbsps) bath once or twice a week, warm water, not too hot. I put a couple of drops of organic Lavender oil in my bath as well
I shower twice a day using Protex, which is an antibacterial soap. But I have just been given a handmade nautral soap from a friend, which has Tea Tree and Neem oil in it, so might start using that as well.
I dab undiluted Tea Tree Oil on any spots and wait for my skin to air dry before I get dressed.

Hope that helps. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/23/12  2:43am
" I use Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap in the shower, and sometimes I'll clean certain areas with a little rubbing alcohol, mostly to get rid of adhesive residue from bandages. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/23/12  5:00am
" I shower with goat milk soap it really cleans my HS areas well and leaves me feeling/smelling clean all day. Goat milk soap has a smell to it that I can't explain, not bad but you either like it or don't.
Also before bed I put some Epsom salts and coconut oil in the whirlpool and just let the salts do their magic =)

xoEsmee "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/23/12  11:48am
" I use Hibicleans at least every other day. (surgical scrub surgeons use to keep their hands/arms clean before they go into surgery)

And I wash in between with Dove gentle soap and tea tree oil soap. It might not be keeping the baddies at bay, but it does help to keep the smell down.

When showering I used hot enough water to clean myself, and then when done let the water run on my a few mins on either cool or cold, depending.

I haven't found that bathing does better than showering. A hot bath usually feels better, unless you have an open wound and city water like me. The combo is no fun, open wound and hot city chorinated water. OUCH. But soaking in a hot tub sometimes will help the aliens to come up and come on out, so that you can get some relief. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/23/12  6:05pm
" Thanks for the responses :) Im definetly going to try these products.

@Raheel I have tried Epsom but never with lavender and i have also never used tea tree. Thanks

@Genocon where can i find Dr. Bronners tea tree soap? I would like to see what its all about.

@K9 are you taking about goat milk out of a "milk" container or....

@ShannonA I never thought to use Hibicleans. Would it be bad to use daily? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/23/12  7:17pm
" Youarenotyourskin,

I would guess it would depend on your skin. I have naturally very oil skin, and at one point was using it twice a day, but then cut it back to once a day to save on the water bill :0 and because washing twice a day with it was getting a little hard on the wallet XD And I never had any issues with my skin drying out or anything like that.
BUT, I have had friends who used it 2x's a day or at least once a day and had issues with dry or irritated skin.
So I would say to start out with every other day and see how you do. You don't want to go giving yourself more skin discomfort trying to help yourself.
I think what k9 is talking about is a bar of soap made from goat's milk. I've never used anything like that so I don't have an opinion on that. :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/23/12  9:20pm
" YANYS, I think k9 was talking about goats milk soap, which I LOVE. It smells so good! (but that's just me) You can buy it from health food shops, or if they don't have it they will know which direction to point you in. You can also find Dr Bronners from a health food shop or online.

I find the Lavender isn't so much for my skin, more for my sanity. It helps relax and calm me when I am feeling upset. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/24/12  7:44am
" Hi! Our doctor recommended a (very) diluted bleach bath once a week. About 1/2 cup in a whole bathtub. I have to be honest and say since the daughter has been doing so well on the Humira, we've not really tried it yet, but he's a pretty good doc, with nothing but excellent suggestions so far, so I'd certainly give it a go. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/24/12  1:52pm
" Like Raheel said, it's in most health food stores, but I get it from a regular supermarket that has an organic section (Fred Meyer where I'm at). "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/25/12  5:30pm
" I am new to this site so this is my first post. Or reply lol. Anyway I have been living with HS now for a little over 10 years. I am almost as severe as it gets. Pain daily and in the last 5 years I have never had a time where I didn't have an open draining wound. I have tried many things but this is what I have found to work the best and I share it with as many people as I can. I use Dawn antibacterial dish washing liquid as a body wash. I love the green apple it smells great! (I also use it as a hand soap at my kitchen and bathroom sink. I make my own foaming soap out of it so it lasts longer) It doesn't even sting when used in open wounds. It helps to stabilize the moisture (sweat) in all areas on my body as well as the wash away any bacteria that may be left on the skin in and around the wounds. It doesn't even leave a residue and it causes no pain!! :) Dawn is an awesome grease fighter in the kitchen sink so you may find you need a moisturizer of some kind. Depending on how often a day you bathe ( I have at least 2 to 5 baths a day just to soak in the nice hot water (because I find compresses don't work well for me) so that it may help bring bring any infection i may have to my skins surface. Occasionally, once a week or so I will settle in with some Epsom salts but my absolute favorite is Avon's Skin so soft bath oil. (the pink bottle smells way better than the original scent in the blue/green bottle) I add a cap or two full to the last bath of the day (before bed time) and it helps restore any possible dry skin as well as relax me so I can get to sleep easier. Also the skin so soft when added to bath water does not cause any pain either. I hope this helps a bit "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web