Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Metformin
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Has anyone taken metformin for hs? My pcp want's me to start taking it. It is normally used for diabetic patients but I have been told although it has not be approved for hs that it has been used.
Posted on 04/24/12, 09:42 am
4 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/24/12  10:15am
" I'm a diabetic and I take it 500mg and it has no effect on my hs but not to say it won't work for you, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/24/12  10:35am
" I took it for insulin resitance/pcos for about 5 years and then got horrible heartburn every time I took the pill even with a regular meal, etc. It never did anything for my HS. When I added spirnolactone, the HS improved a little but not enough to keep taking either drug long term as the side effects wreck further havoc on your system as if we need anything else, HS is brutal enough.

I am not sure what the logic for prescribing it for HS would be. Have they checked your blood sugar with the fasting glucose test because if you aren't insulin resistant it could be very dangerous and/or cause your blood sugar to drop too low which is a pretty serious issue.

I would ask for the PCP to further explain why they think it will help in your case before taking it. It made much more sense for my poly cystic ovaries and borderline type 2 when it was prescribed to me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/25/12  2:12pm
" I am not diabetic but my doctor wanted me to try it too. It did nothing to help my HS and caused me major stomach issues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/16/12  6:46pm
" My dr. put me on meformin for my PCOS and because I was trying to get pregnant, I wasn't having my periods, and after starting metformin and taking it 3 times a day I got my period and six weeks later got pregnant! =) I no longer take it now tho bcuz I don't want to get pregnant again right now at the moment. It didn't seem to have any effect on my H.S. and it does cause tummy problems, and going to the bathroom A LOT! If you try it, I hope it helps you out, the way you want it to. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web