Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Tattoos?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
So I know this sounds kinda silly, but my mother thinks that with me having HS that I shouldn't be getting tattoos. I on the other hand don't think its a issue or will make anything worse. I've tried researching it but I've come up with nothing. & my doctors don't seem to know anything about HS either... Opinions?
Posted on 06/21/11, 09:16 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 06/21/11  9:19pm
" I have three tattoos and they have all been fine. What does she think would happen? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 06/21/11  9:19pm
" Well, if I were your mother I would not mind if you are careful where you put the tatoos. Have never been fond of tatoos but to put them where you get HS would be utterly insane..... So place them in a kind and gentle place I would say.......good luck, Tangerinebear xo "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 06/21/11  9:21pm
" I'm not sure what she thinks will happen, she is just over protective... Also I wouldn't put them where I get HS, that would be crazy. I was just wondering what other people with this do/did. I have 1 tattoo on my foot, but because I have been having more out breaks she just doesn't think its a great idea! - Thanks "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 06/21/11  11:35pm
" I've got 20 tattoos and my breakouts haven't been worse or better since getting them. If anything, it makes you more proud to show off your skin :) I say, go get your ink! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/22/11  5:14am
" Your tatoos and your HS are probably not linked at all. But, as a Mom of a daughter myself, I think I can understand your Mother.

If I had a daughter whom I loved in the Hospital with Celluitis, first of all I would be worried in general. Then I would worry that these further infections might have something to do with getting tattoos. Much Cellulitis is the result of IV drug use i.e. unclean needles used under the skin. It's not so big a leap for someone to think that ANY kind of needle beneath the skin's surface puts us at risk for infection, especially if we are already prone to infection. (And I have seen a couple of very nasty infections from tatoos).
I suppose that as long as you are very careful about where you have your tats done, it's fine. But it's not completely unreasonable for you Mom to be concerned. Anyway, it's her JOB to worry about you...lol She's your MOM :) Some days, it's all we Moms do. lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/22/11  5:16am
" And by the way....my own daughter doesn't have HS but she does have 5 tatoos.....:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/22/11  8:42am
" I think Photojean said it very well. Those who are prone to infection carry perhaps more risk with tatoos. I guess tatoos are the thing of the day for kids now...When I was growing up about the only ones that got tatoos are sailors and those that were different.....Now it is a common thing.... Personally, I feel that if God wanted our skin all inked up he would of made us with those things...I dont like them and my daughters dont have them..... And yes, mom's worry nonstop about their kids......and having a kid with HS is even more worrysome so give your mom a little slack. She I would say is definately accused of loving you very much....
Tangerinebear xo "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/23/11  12:26pm
" I don't see how tattoo's can make it any worse. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/23/11  2:37pm
" Thanks & she doesn't think it would make it worse, its just the risks of infection is her biggest fear. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 06/26/11  3:28am
" I also have 3, my brother has 1, never stopped us! And, we never had a problem with them, and we do not keloid either. Have fun!

BUT does she have reservations for other reasons? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web