Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Skin grafting & re-constructive surgery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have been going to the dermatologist for a few months now, and he recommended that I see a surgeon. I saw a general surgeon on Friday and she examined me and told me that I have the worst case of H.S that she has ever seen in her career! She actually told me that the H.S is so advanced that it would be impossible for her to do surgery on it. She highly suggested skin grafting and re-constructive surgery. She referred me to a board certified plastic surgeon.

I'm so nervous and worried because this is such an intensive procedure with a recovery time period of 1-2 months. It's not guaranteed that the H.S won't return, however, everyone that I have consulted has never had a recurrence after skin grafting. Before making a definite decision, I do want to get opinions/ do more research.

Has anyone ever had skin grafting and surgery done? If so, how long did it take you to recover? Were you pleased with the results? Did the H.S return?
Posted on 04/07/11, 09:59 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/07/11  4:05pm
" I am in the process of having surgeries to remove hs areas in my groin. I just had surgery #2 on left thigh. He closed the wound on the left thigh by performing a inner thigh lift. First surgery was removal of diseased skin, tissue and glands in the mons pubis area. Its was huge my wound and had to use a wound vac. The wound vac help heal me fast and keep the wound free of infections. But that was only possible because of the care I am receiving. It has been two months and I am off the vac and will not half to do skin grafting. So far I have one more surgery to rid hs from my right thigh. Then the reconstruction process begins.

You should seek a plastic surgeon and talk to them to find out if they
are "willing" and able to perform surgery and reconstruction due to hs . My surgeon was very honest and explained to me a lot of surgeons will refuse to take on h.s. cases b/c its takes time planning the treatment and reconstruction of areas. Many surgeons will provide treatment that is not in the best interest of the patient but what is easiest for them.

Good luck with your journey and don't wait long to have surgery. The road will be rough and challenging for you and your family. Depending on how severe ur case is you can be out for a couple of months to a year depending on your surgeon's course of treatment.
wish you all the best!
-tanya "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/07/11  4:58pm
" I am scheduled for surgery on 5/5 for under my breasts. We are hoping to be able to not have skin grafts but we can only know after getting the surgery done. I will keep you all posted on my recovery . It will be removing the fold and two inches or more above and below of my breasts on both sides. Then the plan is to pull down and pull up on my stomach to meet the skin and resow it closed. we shall see. They say I should be able to work after two weeks but I will just have to see.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you figure out what is best for you!!! Good Luck! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/07/11  10:29pm
" Tina, There are posts here where people have had skin grafts. I know it seems overwhelming, however, read the posts here and hopefully, whoever had skin grafts is still active here. Plan for as much recovery time as possible. Best of luck. I am here for you. Colleen "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/07/11  10:40pm
" I had a wide excision of the left groin and several other smaller area on my right inner thigh in December 2009 with an Integra artificial skin graft. The following June I had more excisions and then again this last November. After 4 surgeries and 13 brand new scars I can tell you that for the first time that I can remember nothing is leaking!!! I am back exercising and losing weight. I feel great and basically free- I got my life back. There are manyon here that prescribe some quack paleo diets and gluten free nonsense but the fact is that surgery DOES work. I agree that this disease has some sort of immune system connection but at the end of the day nothing helps your immune system fight intruders like being healthy. There isn't a reputable health organization that advises anything other than a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, fruit and whole grains. Cut the offenders off, keep the rest of you scrupulously clean- when you are bathing if you feel the SLIGHTEST film under the soap - hit it with Hibiclense and even Dakins solution. These monsters cause monsters and the pseudomonas that feed on open wounds prevent healing.
I suffered with this for 30 years and finally feel that I am free at last. Don't buy into the crackpot diets- cut them off now and save yourself a lot of pain. Kill them all!!!

You can't fight infections if you aren't at the top of your game and the boils cause more boils- somehow you need to break the cycle.
Find a good surgeon and trust. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/07/11  10:40pm
" Thanks Tanya, Colleen, and Ajenson for being so supportive. Your advice really helps. I wish you all good luck as well. *I will say prayers for everyone tonight :) * "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/07/11  10:42pm
" Yes I've had it done on the right and left axillary. The first time I did not have the grafting, only some of the scar tissue and drainage and removal of apocrine glands. He removed so much tissue that after, after the removal of the inside stitches, I had no range of motion in either arms and the skin was literally splitting every time I moved my arms and a couple of abcesses reappeared. The second surgery (skin grafting) was done last September and knock on wood, I have not had any abcesses in either arm. I healed w/in a month, and I credit that w/the Dakins Solution. The only problem for me was he used the tissue from my buttocks and I recieve abcesses in that area. Although a pain, they have been draining on their own. I highly recommend it.I plan on having my groin done when I can temper the abcesses that I'm fighting w/now.
Good Luck to You!!! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web