Surgery Recovery Advice -- Armpit
Hi all! I am having surgery in my armpit this week (with no grafts). Has anyone had this surgery and can tell me what to expect? How long was recovery? How painful was it afterwards? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Posted on 05/19/10, 08:43 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 05/19/10  8:53pm
" HI, good luck on your surgery, I had right armpit, torso, and ear done on April 14th so I'm 5 weeks post op. You can see pictures if you click on my profile. Best advice I can give you is, make sure you get the pain meds you need before leaving the hospital, demand what you want, they will give it to you...I'm on morphine still. Also I'm still sleeping in a recliner, because it is VERY painful to sleep in a bed, if you have a recliner, I suggest moving it into your bedroom, cover it with a clean sheet before you leave, so its ready when you get home, set it up with a table beside it, for access. If you want to try and sleep in a bed, put clean sheets on before you go to the hospital. I had 75 staples, but that is because I had my torso done too, it was difficult to do anything because I'm right handed, I couldn't even wipe myself. Hibiclens is great soap, surgical soap you can get it at a medical store, expensive but worth it. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. "
Reply #2 - 05/19/10  8:56pm
" Each surgery is different, just as each surgeon is different. I'd rather not make any attempt to tell you what to expect except to say that you should inquire about how the doctor anticipates that you will heal. Make sure that he has taken some precautions not to create pockets or extra skin that just gives HS another area to infect. If they are taking all the ducts out then again, ask about plastic surgery or followup incisions to help you look more natural after the healing. Good luck! Here's a hug! "
Reply #3 - 05/19/10  9:08pm
" Wow, thank you for the quick and great feedback. I am definitely going to ask about how he is going to avoid pockets of extra skin. Kat, best of luck to you with your recovery --doing three areas at once sounds so intense and I hope that you have a great outcome and are able to sleep in a bed again soon! My surgeon said that he would give me percocet and I am doing it on a Friday so he said return to work Monday would be no problem. (Easy for him to say, I'm sure!). I already take percocet on ocassion for back pain and it seems to work for that so I hope it does the trick for the HS surgery. "
Reply #4 - 05/20/10  6:25pm
" If they give you drain tubes, be diligent about striping and emptying them! I was not after my groin surgery and the right one started to get cloged near the top where it was connected to my body. I had to have that one in longer and because it stopped draining as well because of the build-up, the end of my incision by my butt was puffy with fluid for a few monthes before it all was reabsorbed into my body.

I hope all goes well with your surgery and like Kat said, make sure you have lots of pain meds stocked up for when you get home! "
Reply #5 - 05/22/10  1:33am
" Hey all! Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences. Surgery went fine. I haven't seen what it looks like because I am not supposed to take the bandage off for two days, but doc says he got all the bad tissue out and was able to hide the stitches in the fold of my arm. No drain tubes (yay!) and the percocet is doing the trick for the pain. I'm not supposed to lift my arm for two weeks so since I have a desk job going to work should be manageable. No walking my dogs, though! :) "
Reply #6 - 05/23/10  9:59pm
" Awesome!! I am SO glad that everything went so smooth for you!! Once you recover you should be a NEW woman!! (hope that gender is right!! LOL! Especially since you didnt have THAT kind of surgery!! LMAO!!)
Anyway, I am so glad that you are doing so great!!
Hugs!!
=-) "
Reply #7 - 05/25/10  5:47am
" I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. Don't push yourself through recovery as I have, you will pay the price. Take it easy and listen to the doctors, I know its much easier to say than do. "