Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
DOES IT GO AWAY?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi,

I was wondering, does a hiatal hernia go away? or is this something i am going to have to live with for the rest of my life? I keep waiting to feel all better!!!!! the pain is much less but there is still alot of discomfort involved....
Posted on 03/19/08, 06:23 pm
23 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Hiatal Hernia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/20/08  2:16pm
" i hear mix things.. some people need them removed and other people can live with them.. my grandma has one ( runs in the family) and shes fine now.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/21/08  3:16am
" I was given the impression that they never go away because it is a tear in the muscle wall. We either find meds that allow us to live with it or there is corrective surgery that can sew up the tear.

I take Prilosec 40mg in the morning and for the most part I am okay. Every once in awhile the hernia will spasm and I run and get a glass of hot water and sip it. The heat from water relaxes the spasm. But for me the spasms are the worst - they are very painful.

As far as the rest of your life, well you can keep the one you have under control. But you need to figure out what your body did or does that caused the hernia in the first place so that new hernia don't appear. For example I have IBS adn have difficulites eliminating. So the strain caused the hernia. If I continue that type of behavior I will get other hernias. I've had two so far. The hiatal hernia and and umbillical hernia. Take care...hugs jilly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/21/08  5:56am
" Hi

Iv read so many conflicting things, some people say that the hernia can heal, others say medication for the rest of your life (im 25!!!!)
I really hope that there is a way rhey can heal "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/24/08  10:33am
" I'm searching for this answer too, whether it can heal. A kinesiologist/chiropractor pushed my hernia out of my diaphram and gave me outstanding relief but it can come back and I need treatments monthly. I don't know if it will ever heal or if ultimately surgery may be needed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 06/11/10  12:48am
" im 22 im wondering if it goes away or if i should never drink alcohal again. im already gluten and dairy free and was really hoping to not have to cut out alcohal completely... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 06/17/10  11:34pm
" i agree mes92684, im 19 years old with a hiatal hernia, i can drink it just doesnt feel good the next morning or if i drink to much it effects me alot "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 06/24/10  8:40pm
" I'm thinking that we just have to live with it. I'm going on my 3rd week since diagnosis and I'm finally getting things under control. I'm still on the really strict GERD diet, but I'm slowing adding things daily. I think the one thing that I truly miss is carbonated drinks. I can do without the caffine, but would love a Dr Pepper! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/29/10  5:09pm
" I had thought mine was caused through vomiting a lot as I get migraines. I have just discovered in the last couple of days that i have a large fibroid in the stomach and this has pushed up the diaphram causing the hiatal hernia. Now I need to concentrate on reducing the size of the fibroid whereupon heopefully there will be no pressure on the diaphram and hence the wall can begin to heali itself . I believe a body can heal itself if you let it and don't interfere with the process. That is my theory anyway. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 07/03/10  9:42pm
" My understanding is that is has to be managed. What I would like to know is whether the damage to the oesophagus heals once the diet and meds have stabilised the heartburn and pain. Or is that damage permanent? Does anyone know?

Cheers
Lark "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 07/10/10  7:51am
" Anyone getting chest pain around the breastbone with this condition? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web