surgery for hiatal hernia
found out 4 years ago I had a hiatal hernia....had a cats scan done last week and the dr said the hernia is alot bigger than what he thought. Next week I am going for an upper GI x-ray for the dr to determine if I need surgery or not....he think the hernia has pushed my stomach up and that they will have to pull my stomach down because it is hitting into the diaphram and chest....has any one had this procedure and what is the recovery like after...did you have to stay in the hospital...did you have to go on a diet, did you have any problems with diaherra or gas after the surgery and so on...thanks...Deb
Posted on 10/02/08, 02:28 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Hiatal Hernia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 10/02/08  2:45pm
" I haven't had it done, but am wondering whether I should think about it. Please let me know what your decision is and how it all goes. "
Reply #2 - 10/10/08  9:39pm
" I would do the surgery as I have been in misery for over 4 weeks. My stomach pushed all the way up under my chest and turned upside down. Ended with a 5 hour surgery. Please if a hernia gets that bad don't let it go the extreme that I did. You will definitely suffer for it. I will keep you in my prayers. "
Reply #3 - 11/11/08  1:10pm
" I did have surgery to fix my hiatal hernia. They did what was called a fundiplication (sp?). The way they explained it, was that they took part of my stomach and tied it around my esophagus to make the sphincter tighter. As for recovery, I can't say how a normal recovery would be, because I had the laproscopic surgery and my intestine got knicked with one of the instruments, so after I started eating after surgery, it caused a major infection in the abdominal cavity, went into shock, had to have 2 more surgeries just to fix that. So needless to say, mine wasn't a normal experience. However, I very rarely have any problems now that my hernia is fixed. Good luck! "
Reply #4 - 11/12/08  3:36pm
" thanks for the advice...all my test show that the hiatil hernia is huge....the day before thanksgiving I am having an endoscopy to see if there are any other problems...then my stomach dr is referring me to Hartford hospital to see a stomach specialist who will schedule the surgery....I will keep you posted....hugs "
Reply #5 - 11/16/08  12:43am
" Hello, NYYankeeDEB, I share a lot of your questions but perhaps I have some answers for you too :). Today is 1 week since I was released from hospital where I had laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair (at a center of excellence in NYC -- can give u name offline) == Had it done Fri afternoon, it took about 1-1/2 hours and then I was sent to medical floor for observation, morphine, heparin and those leg crushers. This was something both my gastroenterologist (NJ) and surgeon (NYC) agreed on -- that it was 'very large.' cHEST pains were coming more frequently, had to spend 1 night few weeks ago at ER to see that it was not a heart attack. Went to have dressing taken off 2 days ago, surgeon said 'whole stomach was in your chest.' Have small little bandages now over the 4 incisions that will 'wash off.' They alternately hurt and itch but not too bad. I did have all the lifestyle indicators for this. So yes, he pulled stomach down and made sure it won't go walk about ever again. What i do not understand is why I have to be on liquid diet for 2 weeks, and then mush diet for 2 weeks. Conflicts w/ Thanksgiving! Does anyone know? So, to answer some of your questions I can drink as much juice and diet pepsi as I want but FLAT, they are saying must be flat soda, so I don't get bloated. Not very hungry but I sure miss eating! Hope you feel well, certainly willing to chat more, as I am recuperating at home.
Cheers, Jumpsturdy "