Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Can hiatus hernias cause gastritis?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I have been diagnosed with a small sliding hiatus hernia and gastritis. Im on a PPI Pantoprazole and the rest of the time Gaviscon and painkillers. These work a bit but the pain keeps flaring up and Im in agony. I know dont know what to do. I think its the gastritis as I dont get reflux as much. I dont know if the pain is the acid not being controlled. Has anyone had both gastritis and the hernia and the pain has gone away? Im finding it hard to deal with. I avoid alcohol,dont smoke or drink citrus. I try to stay away from tomatoes. I do have coffee or chocolate sometimes. Im not sure if Im flaring it up or its the hernia. Has anyone else had a lot of pain with it? Im wondering what might help now as Ive tried many things.
Posted on 10/09/11, 09:09 pm
4 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Hiatal Hernia. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/04/11  8:56pm
" I have gastritis and a hernia - I have never heard of hiatal hernia causing gastritis or vice versa, but I would not be surprised if they are related to one another. Although, I can usually tell the difference between the two.
Omeprazole 40 mg has worked for me and helps both the gastritis and hernia related symptoms. Interestingly, I am now pregnant and was in fear that the symptoms would get worse (all the books say so!!) However, I am pleasantly surprised that it hasnt (unless I eat too much). Before getting pregnant I avoided all the "triggers" except for occasional alcohol and coffee once a day. Now that I avoid alcohol and coffee, I have noticed a little bit of a difference. Maybe try completely cutting out the coffee/chocolate???
I'm sorry you are not feeling well and I hope you find some relief:) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/10/11  8:05pm
" Hi ks01 how are you doing now? Im getting flare ups of pain and reflux. Some days it goes away then it comes back. My meds don't seem to help unfortunately. I see the gastro tomorow so will see what he says. I hope your pregnancy is going ok. Im trying to cut out coffee but miss it and my symptoms are no better. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/24/14  12:27am
" I am fairly certain my 'small' hiatal hernia is the cause of my gastritis. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/24/14  3:14am
" I cannot say if an HH causes gastritis, but I can tell you that they will stir each other up...if that makes sense.

I have the HH and acid reflux. If that wasn't fun enough, I get a hateful bout of gastritis maybe once a year. Each one irritates the other and it's just misery.

If your hernia slides up that will cause pain and make you very uncomfortable. I'll give you a link if you'd like to learn how to manually massage your hernia.

I have to keep my diet very bland, eat small meals, and even still wind up massaging my hernia back down from time to time.

Also, when I have the pain/full feeling I sip on water with a few sprinkles of baking soda. It's a very old-fashioned remedy, but really works. It will ease your reflux, help you burp (if needed) and overall settles things down. And it also helps keep your body more alkaline, which is very important. Chamomile tea is also wonderful for your digestion and tummy. I drink it every night.

Here's the link for HH massage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dt... "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web